Why become a member? ×

See similar (Update)

Just noticed the "see similar" icons that have appeared on all pictures on eBay. Apart from the resulting mouseover popup, which is a pain in the a***, does it strike anyone else as very unfair to sellers. If you've paid to display a picture, why should eBay use it to send your potential customers to someone else?

When I tried to to find an email link to raise this with them (not that they take any notice) a picture of a customer services type woman showed up on the page, with a "see similar" icon on it. Of course, I tried to follow that link, but it said it couldn't find any more deals on nice young ladies for me to consider. :)

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='spinynorman' post='995494' date='Oct 21 2010, 12:49 AM']Just noticed the "see similar" icons that have appeared on all pictures on eBay. Apart from the resulting mouseover popup, which is a pain in the a***, does it strike anyone else as very unfair to sellers. If you've paid to display a picture, why should eBay use it to send your potential customers to someone else?

When I tried to to find an email link to raise this with them (not that they take any notice) a picture of a customer services type woman showed up on the page, with a "see similar" icon on it. Of course, I tried to follow that link, but it said it couldn't find any more deals on nice young ladies for me to consider. :)[/quote]
It doesn't say "see similar" for me? I just get the name of the item, and nothing more. :lol:

Done some more investigation.

The source of this is WindowShopper, a browser addin by Superfish. It's designed for US shopping sites, so pretty useless here anyway. I didn't install it, but it came by stealth with the IETab Plus extension. Apart from the annoying popup, listings were taking forever to load, waiting for Superfish.com. Easily removed though, either block superfish.com with Adblock, or removed IETab Plus. There's an unofficial version with the nastiness removed.