Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo 1997 - GONE

Starless

[center][b][size=4]********* DEAL DONE - NO LONGER AVAILABLE ************[/size][/b][/center]

1997 Fireglo finish which is maturing nicely from it's original red colour (buy a new one and they are a bit red and pink for my liking). Unusually for a Rickenbacker, it shows signs of actual use (rather then being hung up as a very expensive wall decoration). Slight scuffing (break out the Zymol to cure that) and minor dinks here and there which can only really be seen on very close inspection. No buckle rash. A couple of nicks on the body binding (check close-up pics). She is subtlely pre-dinked, so no need to panic about it coming to grief in a gig situation.

The neck is what I would describe as 'middling', not a 4001 skinny, but certainly not the type of clunker that has been on the go in recent years.
All original parts apart from the saddles which have been replaced with genuine Ric newbies (the old ones were getting a bit too deep in the grooves). I have not filed the saddles and am letting the strings make the grooves. The string tension keeps them in place no problem, even when digging out some Jam riffs.

Bridge pickup unit is complete with pointless cover in place (feel free to remove it - I only put it back in place to move the bass on). The nut is the original black one, but I will also include a new white/cream nut for that vintage look. The nut is not glued in place, but again the string tension keeps it solid. I prefer to do this because it allows me to adjust the nut sideways to increase/decrease the space between E/G strings and fretboard edges.

The original Ric case is also included. It has been well used and done its job. It still protects the bass perfectly, but the feet on the bottom edge have collapsed and the plastic is cracked around them (this is how I got it and I have had no need to replace the case - works perfectly - total protection).

I am looking for a fretless bass, unlined with a Jazz type neck. Fender Jazz fretless itself, or something like a MM Sterling fretless. As long as it has a nut-width of 38mm and a reasonably shallow profile. Nothing too outrageous in terms of body colour (no blues, greens or oranges).

Happy to take a bass plus cash, but don't want anything valued over £999 (I just wouldn't gig it). Also happy to take bass plus something else to make up the difference - not sure what yet, so will update this if something comes to me....

And here's the eye-candy:

[attachment=61429:1.JPG]

[attachment=61430:2.JPG]

[attachment=61431:3.JPG]

[attachment=61432:4.JPG]

[attachment=61433:5.JPG]

[attachment=61434:6.JPG]

I will also be selling separately a Hipshot replacement bridge (best after-market Ric upgrade ever) and a set of vintage Rick knobs.

Edited by Starless

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='989310' date='Oct 15 2010, 03:18 PM']Is this a darker shade of red than the modern fireglo 4003 model? Or is it my bad eyesight haha.[/quote]

It is darker, but I think it would have been the same Fireglo as all the other Fireglos when it was new. 13 years of breathing the atmosphere have matured the colour nicely. It must be the same sort of effect that happens with white ones when they start to yellow.

[quote name='Starless' post='989320' date='Oct 15 2010, 03:24 PM']It is darker, but I think it would have been the same Fireglo as all the other Fireglos when it was new. 13 years of breathing the atmosphere have matured the colour nicely. It must be the same sort of effect that happens with white ones when they start to yellow.[/quote]

It is beautiful though...

[quote name='Starless' post='989307' date='Oct 15 2010, 03:14 PM']Time to move on the old Ric. I've had a few in my time and keep coming back to them, but I'm not gigging it so it has to make way for what I need.

1997 Fireglo finish which is maturing nicely from it's original red colour (buy a new one and they are a bit red and pink for my liking). Unusually for a Rickenbacker, it shows signs of actual use (rather then being hung up as a very expensive wall decoration). Slight scuffing (break out the Zymol to cure that) and minor dinks here and there which can only really be seen on very close inspection. No buckle rash. A couple of nicks on the body binding (check close-up pics). She is subtlely pre-dinked, so no need to panic about it coming to grief in a gig situation.

The neck is what I would describe as 'middling', not a 4001 skinny, but certainly not the type of clunker that has been on the go in recent years.
All original parts apart from the saddles which have been replaced with genuine Ric newbies (the old ones were getting a bit too deep in the grooves). I have not filed the saddles and am letting the strings make the grooves. The string tension keeps them in place no problem, even when digging out some Jam riffs.

Bridge pickup unit is complete with pointless cover in place (feel free to remove it - I only put it back in place to move the bass on). The nut is the original black one, but I will also include a new white/cream nut for that vintage look. The nut is not glued in place, but again the string tension keeps it solid. I prefer to do this because it allows me to adjust the nut sideways to increase/decrease the space between E/G strings and fretboard edges.

The original Ric case is also included. It has been well used and done its job. It still protects the bass perfectly, but the feet on the bottom edge have collapsed and the plastic is cracked around them (this is how I got it and I have had no need to replace the case - works perfectly - total protection).

I am not looking for a sale at the moment, and for the purposes of trade-in value I would place this anywhere between £900-£999 (A Ric for less than a grand!!)

I am looking for a fretless bass, unlined with a Jazz type neck. Fender Jazz itself, or something like a MM Sterling. As long as it has a nut-width of 38mm and a reasonably shallow profile. Nothing too outrageous in terms of body colour (no blues, greens or oranges).

Happy to take a bass plus cash, but don't want anything valued over £999 (I just wouldn't gig it). Also happy to take bass plus something else to make up the difference - not sure what yet, so will update this if something comes to me....

And here's the eye-candy:

[attachment=61429:1.JPG]

[attachment=61430:2.JPG]

[attachment=61431:3.JPG]

[attachment=61432:4.JPG]

[attachment=61433:5.JPG]

[attachment=61434:6.JPG]

I will also be selling separately a Hipshot replacement bridge (best after-market Ric upgrade ever) and a set of vintage Rick knobs.[/quote]

Howdy,
nice ric... Keep me posted on that Hipshot :)
regards
Keith M

• 2 weeks later...

OK, still loads of trade offers coming in, but just to re-iterate - I'm looking for JAZZ style neck, FRETLESS and COMPLETELY UNLINED. Nice though some high-end basses are, I won't be tempted by anything that isn't JAZZ style neck, FRETLESS and COMPLETELY UNLINED, or cash offers now welcome.