Why become a member? ×

Alden TV Cruiser Bass - Feeler

untune

Hi all... thought I'd put this here to see if there was any interest.

[b]EDIT[/b]: I'm putting the price at [b]£190[/b], this includes the hardcase. Trades will be considered aswell, cheers :)

This is just a feeler for now to see what's out there. At the minute it's taking up space that I could really do with getting back!

What I have here is an Alden TV Cruiser Bass, designed by Alan Entwistle. Made in Korea, it's an attractive mix of styles, seemingly a Fender Telecaster body paired with a Gibson EB-3 style pickup combination. Originally imported from Germany (unavailbale in the UK from what I can tell) it's been out of it's case a couple of times since the beginning of the year, beyond that it's hardly been touched. It's a beautifully made instrument but sadly it doesn't have the sound/feel that suits me, and I really need to raise money to put towards a new laptop for university so it has to go. The pickups are Entwistle designed - the mudbucker in the neck is very deep and bassy while the mini humbucker on the bridge balances it off with some bite. A 3 way control switch lets you isolate each pickup or blend the two with the volume and tone knobs. The finish is butterscotch with a nice vintage looking binding, no wear, scratches or dings whatsoever (like I said it's rarely been out of the hardcase). The neck has a glossy finish and is very smooth and fast.

The case is tweed style and fur lined, very solid, feels sturdy and protects it well. The case is also lockable and the keys are still in there.

The only other thing to mention is that the outer strings (E and G) sound a little bit quieter than the inner ones - I assume this could be an alignment issue or perhaps something somebody could easily fix with an adjustment, bridge, pickups or whatever - that's not really something I know a lot about. A decent compressor pedal would probably sort it out. Also, I placed some fret stickers over the dots as a little customisation thing - these are easily removed, and can be re-used if needed.

It's been set up (truss rod adjustment etc) to eliminate buzz, and a fresh pair of Rotosound flatwounds are on there, still untouched pretty much. Overall it's very unusual and it looks unique, which is what drew me to it in the first place. I'm sure somebody out there could make better use of it though, rather than letting it sit there untocuhed, seems a bit of a shame! I'll try to get more pictures if anybody would like to see any, if anybody wants to ask anything then fire away.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Additional info that was kindly pointed out, the scale is 34". I've just taken a few photos of it, and plugged it in to check everything is still ok. The 'quietness' problem that I mentioned isn't quite as bad as I remember it being, it's worth noting that Entwistle pickups always have adjustable screw pole pieces so they can be altered as required. It is more noticable on the mini humbucker, but like I say this isn't my area and adjustments can probably be made by those more technically inclined :lol: The action could also be lower, I'm sure everyone on here is more than able to adjust this for their own needs though :)

Edited by untune

Hi,

I've removed the price as it was based on a friends reccomendation and not really realistic it seems. If anyone is interested PM an offer, trades are considered :)

Of particular interest are Squier jazzes, precisions and Westones.

Thanks