Why become a member? ×

**ORIGINAL 1976** GIBSON G-3

matt-bass-sparkes

I am selling my original Gibson G3 bass from 1976.

This bass is awesome!! The three single coil pick-ups really make this bass shine out from many other basses that I've played and recorded with, especially vintage ones! Even with old/worn roundwound strings on, you can still get a bright and deep tone with loads of clarity!

The frets have all been worn down over the years to almost flat, which makes playing this bass an absolute dream!

This bass has a few cosmetic scuffs/scratches/scars, but obviously can be expected from a 34 year old bass.
There are a few dings around the bottom, top of the headstock, and on various small places around the body.
The neck also has a fair amount of wear on the back and on the sides. I have personally used this bass a lot in the one year that I have had it, but I absolutely love basses to look used and worn...after all that's what they are for!

Everything is original down to the screws APART from the scratchplate which was replaced a few years ago, and the bottom left corner has snapped off...this could be rectified with a new scratchplate, or a repair job to the corner.

Also, underneath the scratchplate, it looks as though a previous owner has dug out some of the body in order to put in another pickup at some point....this looks a bit ugly, but luckily it's covered by the scratchplate. If this has done anything to the sound of the bass at all, I would say it's probably made it better, as this bass sounds so good! I'm not just saying this!

The reason I am selling this is that I am a Precision bass player at heart, and I can't resist my urges anymore to get a sweet Precision...and unfortunately I can't afford to have both basses.

Here is a link to a little video that I posted on Youtube just after I got this bass...the sound quality is a bit pants as I recorded straight into my laptop and the buzz is not coming from the bass. But you can hear the clarity of the strings, and the ballsy tone... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UIlEOUJexs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UIlEOUJexs[/url]

AND, for anyone that cares, I play bass for Pete Bennet And The Love Dogs (Pete won Big Brother in 2006), and I used this bass when we played at his wedding in February, and I got a 1.5 second shot of me playing it on Living TV haha!

I'm looking for £750 including postage.

Cheers.
[attachment=59880:IMG_0758.JPG][attachment=59879:IMG_0757.JPG]