Why become a member? ×

weird buzz

Chris2202

I've just replaced the strings on my short scale bass and on my E string there is a weird buzzing sound coming from the plastic bridge on the top of the neck, all of the strings are fine except This one and I can't figure out what it is that's causing it. Any help I would be greatful for.

P.s. this is unamplified :)

Thanks

[quote name='Chris2202' post='953215' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:22 PM']the plastic bridge on the top of the neck[/quote]
The nut? :rolleyes:

The most likely culprit (assuming the new strings are the same gauge as the old) is not having enough windings on the tuning post. Quick way to check if this might be the problem: apply light pressure on the string between the nut and the tuning post. If it stops buzzing when you press down on that part of the string, that string's probably not exerting enough downward pressure in its nut slot.

When you're stringing up, if you work down as the windings come onto the post (putting 2 or 3 full windings onto the post, finishing up with the string meeting the post near the wood of the headstock), that creates extra downward pressure from the string onto the nut slot, so it's less likely to vibrate in the slot.

If you post up a picture of your nut and headstock, we can maybe take a wild stab in the dark. :)

[quote name='Chris2202' post='953250' date='Sep 11 2010, 11:40 PM']I did what you said applying light prrssurse to the bit of string but it made no difference, I can't upload pics atm as my Photobucket isn't working but when I restrung it I did what you said above about working downwards, what is your diagnosis?[/quote]
Hmmm. If there's a decent "break angle" at the nut (i.e. the string's pulling downwards enough after it's passed over the nut towards the tuning post), which there should be if you've got a few full windings on the tuning post, then I have one more question...

Are the new strings the same gauge/weight/thickness (whatever you want to call it) as the old ones? If they're lighter than the old ones, the nut slot may be too wide, leading to a buzzing rattle in the nut slot. The string needs to ideally sit in a slot that's almost exactly the same width as the string. As a quick fix, you can try shimming the nut slot by wrapping a small piece of paper around the string in the slot. If that [b]is[/b] the problem, the only permanent fix is to get a new set of strings the same gauge as the old ones, so they fit the nut properly... or get a new nut.

If it's not the break angle or the nut slot, then I pass over to those with more expertise than me (I just happen to be the guy reading this thread at ten to midnight on a Saturday :) ).

Ah, hold yer horses -- we're fast drifting into the realms beyond my knowledge (which isn't hard to do :) ). Nut replacement is certainly outside my comfort zone.

I would say your best bet would be to take it along to a local guitar/bass tech who [b]does[/b] know what they're doing, and see what they think. Could be something really simple and obvious to them when they've got the bass in front of them, and they can give it a full proper setup while they have it. If they let you stick around and watch, you can learn loads of useful things to help you maintain your own instrument.

Or maybe someone else here could take a different guess as to what the problem might be.

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='Chris2202' post='953322' date='Sep 12 2010, 08:26 AM']Right I think a new nut is in order then, I have tried many times with the paper to no success so im going to have to buy a new nut for it. The only question now is what one? (As mines a short scale) and where?

Thanks in advance[/quote]
What is the gap between the string and fret at 1st and 2nd frets.....is this possibly where the buzzing is coming from,if so you might possibly need to adjust the releif in the neck or heighten the strings from the bridge before looking to replace the nutt,however the nutt to my eyes does look poor.
If it is the nutt and only on this string it is possible To raise that string by inserting something like a peice of hard plastic from a biro in the cut,its a temporary resolve but it will get you through for a bit

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='953332' date='Sep 12 2010, 09:56 AM']Ah, hold yer horses[/quote]

+1. It may be as simple as a defective string. Its not that uncommon. If padding hasn't helped then chances are the problem is not in the nut.

local guitar shop for a check over sounds like a safe bet to me. Be friendly and ham up the newbe angle and you might get a free check. :)

[quote name='SteveO' post='953362' date='Sep 12 2010, 09:56 AM']+1. It may be as simple as a defective string. Its not that uncommon. If padding hasn't helped then chances are the problem is not in the nut.

local guitar shop for a check over sounds like a safe bet to me. Be friendly and ham up the newbe angle and you might get a free check. :)[/quote]
Suddenly Im thinking is the truss rod shot and vibrating :rolleyes: or possibly a knackered tuner

[quote name='tino' post='953377' date='Sep 12 2010, 10:19 AM']Suddenly Im thinking is the truss rod shot and vibrating :) or possibly a knackered tuner[/quote]
Just having a listen now and the buzz seems to be coming from above the nut and from around the tuning post. the string has been wrapped around 3 times fully but its definately coming from above the nut that's for sure.

[quote name='Chris2202' post='953394' date='Sep 12 2010, 10:40 AM']I know what it is now, I've taken the string off and the tuninh post is excessivly wobbly, am I able to tighten it up at all?[/quote]
Its all dependant on the type of tuner????
look for areas where there is wear where 2 parts meet ....put a pic of the tuner up...so we can see