Why become a member? ×

Another Electro-Acoustic Bass Thread! £200 - £450

hm1992

Hi, new person here.
I have been playing bass for a few years now on a Squire Affinity P-Bass (the one from the beginners pack).
And now I have started playing in a band with a few friends and the time has come to upgrade.
Since my friends often play (with an acoustic) at school I would love to be able to join them without amplification.
Are any acoustic basses loud in this price range (£200 - £450) loud enough for that?
I have started checking them out in shops and shall post what I think to give you a better idea of what I'm after.
Also I'm going to need a hard case for obvious reasons.
Will check out other models when I can.

Fender Kingman SCE:
To me this guitar had a very twangy metallic noise and I hated the look of it.
£268 online - rrp £400

Farida AB-10: (claimed it came with a hard case)
Seemed better and I liked the look of it, not a lot of info on it around though (has anyone played/got one?).
£400 in store - rrp £600

EDIT:

Hofner HAb 03
Very nice bass, don't think it came with a case though.
£400 instore or online alan gregory music

Has anyone played any of these instruments, willing to pass judgement or experiences?

Edited by hm1992

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here actually played the Fender Kingman SCE acoustic ? I know the thread started has, but i am looking for a more thorough ponder. (As is he)

(What a great looker though eh?)

[attachment=63043:Fender_K...Bass_SCE.jpg]

Edited by daz

Having owned a Takamine G-series and an Ibanez AEB, I believe that NO acoustic bass guitar will compete unamplified with even a single acoustic guitar. There just isn't enough space in the body to resonate enough air to produce enough sound at bass frequencies.

[b]In my humble opinion[/b] the only reason to have an acoustic bass guitar is to blend in aesthetically with an acoustic ensemble, but you'll still need amplification.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1012264' date='Nov 4 2010, 04:24 PM']Having owned a Takamine G-series and an Ibanez AEB, I believe that NO acoustic bass guitar will compete unamplified with even a single acoustic guitar. There just isn't enough space in the body to resonate enough air to produce enough sound at bass frequencies.

[b]In my humble opinion[/b] the only reason to have an acoustic bass guitar is to blend in aesthetically with an acoustic ensemble, but you'll still need amplification.[/quote]

+1

Currently own a Takamine G (2nd one I've owned) and apart from it being great to pick up and put down when passing, you do need amplification.

I've reinvested for an acoustic project where I'll be playing both DB and ABG, the ABG for the slightly more complex pieces. Having said that the tone is a bit different to a normal bass but is of no use unless plugged in or mic'd in a live situation.

Im sure nobody would think of playing live without amplification. Acoustic bass are notorious for their lack of decibels. But what are they like to actually play. Heres a youtube i found.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafiXI40_JY&feature=related"]Youtube link (guy talks in german)[/url]

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1012298' date='Nov 4 2010, 05:03 PM']Im sure nobody would think of playing live without amplification. Acoustic bass are notorious for their lack of decibels. But what are they like to actually play.[/quote]
I like 'em. Mine has a fairly big body so physically it's a challenge, but it makes you play properly imo, no shortcuts in terms of fretting or plucking. So in theory helps when playing a standard bass.

Feedback is an issue but with proper setting up and a sound hole plug no major issues. Just like all these things, needs getting use to, but I do like the idea of just picking up a bass and playing rather than having to plug in etc.

Major issue than needs addressing on new bass is the action, you do seem limited on how much flexibilty you have setting the action. If you really like a low action, I'm not sure you'll get it from an acoustic.

Edited by farmer61