Why become a member? ×

Getting a pedalboard together..

3V17C

I'm currently starting to get a pedalboard together, already have a couple of things (Akai Unibass and EH Bassballs USA) but am looking for a few more so it'd be nice to have some recommendations from pedal buffs on here..

so recommendations for:

chorus pedal
delay pedal
synth pedal
loopstation type thing (though will prob go with rc20xl on this as had one before)
power brick

can't afford anything ridiculously pricey but do prefer the look/vibe of boutique pedals over bog standard boss stuff...

cheers

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='943697' date='Sep 2 2010, 05:43 PM']I'm currently starting to get a pedalboard together, already have a couple of things (Akai Unibass and EH Bassballs USA) but am looking for a few more so it'd be nice to have some recommendations from pedal buffs on here..

so recommendations for:

chorus pedal
delay pedal
synth pedal
loopstation type thing (though will prob go with rc20xl on this as had one before)
power brick[/quote]

Chorus - and old 18v danelectro cool cat, needs it's own power supply but it's a very very good chorus for £30 2'nd hand

Delay is a tricky one, it depends what you're gonna use it for, there's a lot of features to consider, how much delay time do you need, analogue or digital, tap tempo, modulation, stereo/mono, etc, I'd consider one of boss's compact ones for simple'ish stuff (DD-3/6/5/7), or a dd-20 or line6 dl-4 if you want bells and whistles (I've got a dd-20 and I love the bells and whistles)

Synth - and old EHX Bass MicroSynth, but the bypass is beyond awful, so you'll need a True Bypass loop or to mod it to true bypass, it needs it's own power supply and it's the size of a small island nation, but it sounds amazing. You can get a new BMS which is smaller and TB, but it doesn't sound as good.

Power Brick - [url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12"]This[/url] it's beyond amazing. It's basically the diago PSU's they sell for £70. I've had mine for 2 years and it's powered about 15 pedals at one point. It would be an amazing PSU for £50 for £11 it's borderline theft. Only downsides are it only provides 9v tip negative (boss style) power, which some pedals (digitech whammys, line6, a lot of EHX pedals) don't take. Also, get a diago daisychain. It'll probably cost you as much as that powersupply but it's worth it.

May I also premept the dozen suggestions you're about to get to get a dirt pedal.

Get a dirt pedal. There's a billion different options so it depends on your band sound etc. But you need a dirt pedal, or 5 (my record is 6 at the same time).

Welcome to the world of pedalmania, you may want to take pawn your silverware now to save time.