Why become a member? ×

Pick Groove Playing - Before and After

phobucket

Hi All,

I just completed my first 108 day cycle of Kai Eckhardt's Mentorship program. During the program I worked on playing with a pick, especially playing 16th note grooves with muted notes. Prior to this program, I had never really played with a pick, but always thought it was a hole in my abilities since I like the sound and playing of guys like Bobby Vega and Chris Squire. I also bought the Bobby Vega DVD, which was helpful for understanding how he holds the pick, and getting a little bit into his head.

So here I am throwing down my before and after grooves. The before groove had fresh strings, the after groove had strings that had been played on in 100F outdoor gigs.

Day 1 Signal Chain
Matt Pulcinella Level 5 -> Pod X3 Live -> Reaper

Day 105 Signal Chain
Matt Pulcinella Level 5 -> Pod X3 Live -> Ableton Live & EZDrummer

There is still alot to work on...especially with regards to the differences in dynamics between the fretted, muted, and backbeat note. But I thought it was pretty good progress for 3 months of work @30-45 minutes per day.

Let me know what you think.

Best,
Ben

Thanks, Sibob! Yes, I really had a long hill to climb from that first recording.

The first month was spent mainly doing single string picking variations on a konnakol exercise. The second month was spent doing string crossing variations on the same exercise. So that part was really pure technique. After that, it was much more about capturing the sound and making the bass part fit together like a drum groove. As far as confidence goes, I do feel that if someone asks me to play with a pick on a song, I'll at least sound competent. 108 days well spent for that.

I didn't know much of Kai's playing before I started the program, but have since gotten really into Garaj Mahal...going to see them in a few weeks. I have nothing but admiration for any player with such an original and well executed voice.