Just found this thread...just to show you could sort of do something useful with these Stellah etc headless kits, here's what we finally finished last weekend. Four years ago my son who was then 15 (and as well as being a much better bass player than me is into D&D and LARPing) saw a picture of a custom "sword" bass and asked if he could have one. As usual my answer was that he could, but he'd have to learn to make it himself! It's taken a while, but sort of got there in the end - and he certainly learnt a lot (like the fact that sanding and spraying is BORING).
The neck in the kit was awful, and in the end warped itself out of use, so I picked up a 24 fret Tanglewood that needed a bit of work and tweaked that neck. I junked all the electrics from the kit, and very heavily modified the nut clamp so that it would fit on the back of the neck. In fact, the only bit of the kit that I didn't change much was the tuners / bridge, even there I strategically cleaned off bits of paint so it now earths the strings properly.
It's the body from the kit (was a J type ), rather heavily modified We inlaid a hefty chunk of brass into the back to stop the body warping, as there's now no wood either side of the pups, and actually the sustain is really pretty good. Found a nice bit of real leather to fit around the middle.
Bizarrely it's actually turned out really rather nice to play. Thanks to the brass in the body it balances surprisingly well, and the "hilt" and thin body makes it more comfortable than you'd think to play sitting down.
Don't know how long the headstock will last, there's not a lot of wood left where I ran the strings go through it. If I get time before Ross goes back to uni I might fit a shiny metal plate to the front to reinforce it.
Anyway, does show you can some fun with these kits, I don't think I'd bother with them just to build "as is" though! And it was worth the cost of the kit...but only because I picked it up cheap on eBay because one of the pots was smashed.