Why become a member? ×

Band Names and Copyright??

Tone le Bone

ive wondered about this a few times because a syou might have notice from below the band im in is called polo lounge, which is a chain of gay bars, which we didnt know about at the time, we got it when the singer seen it in the fear and loathing in las vegas book and thought it was cool. also we dont spell it as 2 words we spell it as one like POLOLOUNGE. (no idea why :s).

think we might have problems?

Another thing to consider is if you do get some record company interest having an actionable name is going to work against you from their point of view and you may miss an opportunity without even knowing why you didn't get a call back. If they're deciding between 20 bands and they realize they're going to have to change your name and lose your momentum you become less desirable commercially.

How about the Rolling Zepplin Beatles instead? :)

Personally I try to pick something that when googled doesn't already bring up a million hits. Tool is a great example of a bad band name from this point of view. If you're trying to make it I think this kind of thinking is very important.

Edited by Vibrating G String

[quote name='sweeneyjimbob' post='929255' date='Aug 18 2010, 04:02 PM']ive wondered about this a few times because a syou might have notice from below the band im in is called polo lounge, which is a chain of gay bars, which we didnt know about at the time, we got it when the singer seen it in the fear and loathing in las vegas book and thought it was cool. also we dont spell it as 2 words we spell it as one like POLOLOUNGE. (no idea why :s).

think we might have problems?[/quote]
Polo Lounge is a generic term like bus stop or shoe store. That is in your legal favor. Making it one word is too. But if a big company thinks you may be getting notice based on their reputation they can go after you for trade dress, as it's called in the US, and then it only needs to be similar enough for a reasonable person to make a connection. These laws are so vague and subjective I think it comes down to who has the most money. Disney for example will sue anything at all and they are case study when studying IP law.

I would doubt a chain of gay bars has the same kind of legal team as disney. I would think you're OK with pololounge and that has to be true cause it's written on the internet. :)