Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B series transistor amps

notable9

Hi I used to own a B2R which has now been upgraded to a B2RE(350w now 450w @ 4 ohms) They're good amps & DO have tha AMPEG sound/tone.....but NOT the Ampeg TUBE tone. Your Hartke is 250w @ 4ohm ??? is that right? So IMHO you'd need to get at least double that to really notice much of a volume upgrade! More speakers/speaker area will give you a more noticeable vol increase. Are U using the Hartke AT 250W / at 4 ohms coz if U can adding another cab will add more volume than getting an amp thats only a cuppla 100 w more. old rule is:- U need 10x the wattage to get a double increase in volume!!!!!
So if U can add a 4 10 cab to your existing rig you'll get a BIG increase in vol.
On the other hand TUBE watts are a different matter. An Ampeg 300w ALL tube amp(not hybrid) will be a fair bit louder than what U got!!!
Tell us what your rig is-cabs, bass etc-type of music played or going to be played & we can help U more.
Rod

Ok thks,
Im not a pro player, but after years of playing through so so gear which mainly comprised of any old 15's I could lay my hands on, Im gonna take the plunge and invest in a 2x12 4ohm 800watt cab. Im not looking for any more volume I just want to be sure Ive got an amp thats not working too hard, or am I coming at this from the wrong direction.

Ian

Right! The B series amps are good IMHO! Which one are U thinking of- as I said I had the B2R & it was a NICE amp - had a GREAT tone & was nice & versatile!! I just needed an ALL tube tone-which I now have-again- I had that originally-just not an Ampeg SVT2!!!
Tell me which B series amp it is & I can help U more if U like

Well, cab wise I was looking at the Dr Bass series which is keenly priced. I cant afford two cabs so one will have to do.
I guess as a minimum upgrade 350@4ohm would be about right. I like the look of the B2RE - 450@4ohm, but what about the little B1-RE 300@4ohm. Would the smaller amp be any improvement over my Hartke.
Thks

I'd definately go for the B2RE.... I don't think you'd find the B1RE to be much different-in fact it'd probly be quieter than the Hartke. I dunno? IMHO the Hartke's are Damn good amps-especially for the $$$$$ Sure you'll get a bit more volume & a different tone w/ the B2RE-should really be enough volume if U use efficient cabs( sorry I dunno much re the DR bass cabs) BUT if U REALLY want a new amp & the Ampeg B series is what U want-then go 4 it! I'd probly go for a new cab-with as much efficiency as poss. ( 100dB@1w/1m at least) most likely a 4x10" or a 2x12" & try that thru the HArtke amp-HA2500 1st....then if still more vol/better tone is required-then look at the new amp! I made the actual same move as you a cuppla yrs ago. Was sick of my tone & volume... got a B2R & a 4 x 10" SVT410HLF.. Great cab... But found I needed some tube sound-as that's what I'd been using all my life- so swapped the B2R on a SVT3PRO..... needed TUBE tone-IMHO Hybrid amps don't "do it for me" so I sold the 3PRO & now have an Ampeg V4BH(100w all tube) which is as loud as the B2R...maybe B2RE too, but only with an efficient cab) & also an SVT2-300w ALL tube-LOUD as F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway- which DR Bass cab are You lookin at? 4x10, 2x10, 2x12??????????????? Please tell & I'll advise U to the best of MY ability anyway!
Good luck!!!
Rod

I've just bought the B2RE and the B410HLF together as a package.
Used it for the first time last weekend in a pub gig.
Absolutely awesome sounding.
More than enough power for the gig - now i'm louder than the drummer!.
Got plenty of compliments from fellow band members.
We gig pretty regually round the NorthWest so you're welcome to come and have a listen.
the band is called barefeet - you can find us on northwestbands.com
Ian