Why become a member? ×

first diy cab

rmshaw37

hi there!

i have an ampeg 410 hlf thats loking battered, and hence can't give it away! i've also been looking to try out a 210 to stick on top of my ampeg 115e to see what it sounds like!

this lead me to think, bugger it, i'll build a couple, rob the speakers from the hlf, and i can always stick em back in if needed!

anyways i was trying to decide how exactly to build it? almost went out and spent over £200 on the micro 210 svt thingy, looked into it cause i know it doesn't have a horn and i don't like the clickyness that a horn produces (personal preferance). so anyhoo, found out it was a sealed cab like the 810 (which i've always liked but just don't sound as ballsy as my single 15) and set out to make 2 2x10s, as i have 4 spare drivers, and add a port to the second one if required/ needs to be tested.

£25 on wood (18mm birch marine ply) £30 on feet and connectors etc and a few hours learning housing joints with a router, and presto, bobs your uncle, fannys your aunt - 2 2x10 boxs! only had enough lining for one though. took about 6 hours all together (not including waiting overnight for glue to dry).

tested it out in our little practice room sunday, and gigged it wednesday with one 2x10 and my 115 and something magical happened! i heard myself REALLY well all over the stage AND didn't get told to turn it down! result!

now i just need to gig both 2x10s (once i get the lining for the second one) and see how it sounds, then as i know i like the 210 115 combination, i can start looking into possibly porting the second cab! (don't tell the mrs but i'ce always fancied trying a 112 too!!)

ooh - and i know its not to do with where my cabs are height wise cause i've gigged the 115 at ear level and not heard myself this well!

all in all, for someone who knows NOTHING about cab design and is pretty skint, to having a lovely rig for £20 a cab, i really am chuffed to bits! its not my ideal tone, that would be 2 of the 115s, but i can hear myself live now!