Why become a member? ×

Advice needed!

JamieBenzies

Hello everyone,

After playing a Pedulla Pentabuzz I have decided that one of many changes I need to make to my Yamaha TRB fretless is the feel of the neck, more specifically the fingerboard. On a Pedulla fretless there is (as I'm sure you all know) a relatively thick layer of varnish on the fretboard, I like the effect of this, it sounds nice. Now I am well aware that I can't make my TRB sound like a Pedulla that easily but I think adding a similar layer of varnish would be a step in the right direction. The fingerboard of my TRB is made of rosewood, is it the case that I simply need ebony (like on the buzz basses) to sound that bit better? Or will a good layer of varnish simulate the very compact composition of ebony?

So, the main thing I want to know is how exactly it is best to varnish my fingerboard for this effect? If anyone knows how Pedulla do it and could share it, that would indeed be an added bonus!

I know there have been some threads on this already but I get very mixed impressions from looking through all of them, so a nice up-to-date set of specific answers would be great.

Thanks ya'll

Edited by benzies123

I would not attempt this yourself unless you have some experience of refinishing and/or shooting urethane or epoxy. You'll end up ruining the 'board (as I did as a young man, trying to 'Jaco-up' a P-bass) and you'll be back to square one. This process takes time and involves working up through grades of fine grit papre and pads. If you want to try it, get hold of a junker neck and get on Google. Failing that, give the neck to a luthier who is proficient in this line of work.

[quote name='Stacker' post='876480' date='Jun 24 2010, 02:51 PM']I would not attempt this yourself unless you have some experience of refinishing and/or shooting urethane or epoxy. You'll end up ruining the 'board (as I did as a young man, trying to 'Jaco-up' a P-bass) and you'll be back to square one. This process takes time and involves working up through grades of fine grit papre and pads. If you want to try it, get hold of a junker neck and get on Google. Failing that, give the neck to a luthier who is proficient in this line of work.[/quote]

Cheers, I'm not completely deterred but still, the warning is appreciated. I will check how much this would cost to do too.

On another note your signature has always made me think... I just thought you should know that it has benefited the world in some way. Not to say I wouldn't think otherwise.

Edited by benzies123