Why become a member? ×

Bought another Dynabass

colda

My latest purchase, yet another Peavey Dynabass (International Series)

Bought on ebay, the description said green but in fact it's blue (well, it's supposed to be like a turquoise fading out to blue), I was hoping to get a green one to go with the red and blue ones I have already. It seems to play well (got it yesterday only had 2 mins with it so far) but looks like it's spent many a year getting sun bleached, so to be fair to the seller if I didn't know better I'd prolly also describe it as green (photos were poor quality so was hard to tell from those).

First impressions, I'm not liking the 'fade' especially as I have the unfaded version already.

So, what to do?

a.) Sell it on, got it at a good price so with some good pics and an honest appraisal I'd cover the cost and get a couple of beers out of it

b.) Satisfy my desire to customise something (and give my old Vester a chance to stay original) and strip it down and repaint it myself

c.) Leave it as it is and go with the flow of the aged look

Any hints/comments/warnings/guidance/beers/kebabs will be appreciated :)

Edit: photos added

Edited by colda

I think it sounds like you want have a go at refinishing it but want convincing you're doing the right thing. You obviously like your Dynabasses so I don't think you really want to move it on, do you?

Refinishing a bass can seem a daunting task at first and I would seriously think twice about it if I were stripping the finish from a £600+ guitar. I'm in the process of refinishing one of my BB300's. I bought it off a guy recently who claimed that the only thing wrong with it was a missing control knob. When I had a good look at it in the cold light of day, there were numerous chips and dents and the areas directly above and below the strings were covered in the tiny hair-line scratches caused by fingernails, making the finish appear dull in those areas. As the bass only cost me a £100 and being the fussy b***ard I am, I decided to have a go at refinishing it my self.

So far, I have removed all of the old finish with Nitromors (by putting plenty on and leaving it for several hours each time) and have primed the body. Next step is to rub it down and apply an undercoat. I'll post pictures when I'm finished.

I say, "Have a go and refinish the bass yourself...you know you want to"

i put stick with the aged, but what i really meant was that they seem a pretty different colour to me, and the woods look like they have a different sort of flame about them. whatever you do dont spray it black, leave it natural if your gonna strip it.

Awwwwwh man, leave her alone, she's done nothing to hurt you..... :)

If you're gonna have it re-fined have it done properly (Sims, or similar company) If you mess that beautiful top up, you and I will never forgive you!

If you need her to be different ,string with something you dont usually use, Flatties, nylon flats etc.....

She's earnt the right to look different, it'd be a sad world if we all liked blondes.... n'est pas?

:huh:

ok - I have a confession to make

I, yesterday, for a few minutes, did actually consider the idea of using Hammerite (yes the original black hammered effect finish)

For this potential atrocity I apologise wholeheartedly!

Have come to the conclusion if I do go down the refinish route it will be natural

That said, after a recent communication from the Inland Revenue, sadly a sale seems probable :)