Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

salmon pink jazz

Super_Mario_Bass

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='94301' date='Nov 25 2007, 09:29 PM']In a word - yes.

It was never an official colour and was the result of a batch of Fiesta Red paint that faded. So you need a Jazz from whatever year it was that paint faded - sometime in the '60s. Jet Harris had a Fender bass - not sure if J or P.[/quote]

+1.
There was never any such colour as Salmon Pink - it's a mythical colour that was perhaps a 'version' of Fiesta Red that was peculiar to Fender Strats that ended up in the UK in the 1960's & were re-finished here.

This is from the provide.net site - (& that guy seriously knows his stuff on Fender paint/colours) :

[i][b]The English "Salmon Pink" Story and Nail Holes and Sunbursts.[/b]

In the early 1960s, due to the popularity of Hank Marvin of the band the Shadows, the Stratocaster was THE guitar to own in the United Kingdom. In 1961, Fender was imported by Jennings (the makers of Vox amps), and in 1962 Fender was also imported by Selmer. Both Jennings and Selmer gave way to Arbiters as the sole UK distributor in the Summer of 1965 (perhaps because Fender didn't like having their products distributed by successful UK amp makers). But all the importers seemed to have brought Fender guitars into the UK *without* cases, probably because local cases were available for less money than the Tolex Fender cases (the Canadian Fender importers did the same thing). This in turn increased the possibility of damaged finishes as the guitar were imported into England, which helps lend itself to the following story.
Urban legand has it that English guitar shops found it easier to sell guitars that looked like Hank Marvin's Fiesta Red Stratocaster, than the standard sunburst finished Strat. Therefore, a lot of Fender Strats were rumored to be refinished from Sunburst to red on arrival in the UK to match Hank Marvin's guitar. The resulting color used by the Fender UK importers was not as red as Fender's factory "Fiesta Red", and was more of a "Salmon Pink" color. This of course added more to the confusion about what exactly Fiesta Red was, and the Salmon Pink color rumor.

Most of the red UK painted Strats where done right over the original sunburst. Also the UK painters did not seem to use the "nail hole" method of painting these guitars (lucky for us). Hence these 1960s refinished-when-new UK Strats will usually have painted nail holes, red-over-sunbuarst, and non-Tolex/weird cases. Therefore they are pretty easy to identify.

So is this "English refinished Fiesta Red" story rumor or fact? I personally tend to believe the story, as I received an email from an english gentlemen that claimed he worked for Selmer in the UK, and he in fact did some of the refinish work. I also owned a red-over-sunburst 1961 Strat in a Selmer case. But that's the only real proof I have that the story is true. Otherwise the jury is still out on this. But if the story is true, regardless, these English-refinished-red Strats are *not* factory original Fiesta Red guitars, and hence must be considered a "refin". Now if the nail holes are clear and present, I would consider it "original". But if there's no nail holes (or painted nail holes), by definition it's refinished and not original.[/i]

And an original Fiesta Red 60's Fender Jazz or Precision will set you back many £££ thousands - if you can find one...!