Why become a member? ×

Yamaha and Fender in the same topic?!

TomKent

Well, the Yamaha was my first proper bass. For many months I played it with a shocking set up and had trouble slapping with it due to un-neccasary parts. 10 months ago I had her set up and had the bits removed. The set up is perfect and with the help of some foam/car sponge it sounds brilliant.

The Fender was my second bass and remains my favourite, primarily due to the awesome sound it makes and the overall feeling. Again I went heavy handed with the sponge and I've made two custom fittings, one for motown and one for pit/session work.

I've got two more basses coming along his month (hopefully), both of which are Precisions (one bring fretted, one being fretless). The fretted one is so I can learn to set up my own bass, once I've worked on that I'll be spending lots of money on it! :)

[quote name='JordanRLS' post='848711' date='May 26 2010, 05:20 PM']At the risk of sounding ridiculously stupid... what's with the sponge? :rolleyes:
lovely pair of basses you have there ![/quote]

The sponge means I don't get ringing strings when I don't want them (although muting should do it - I'm prone to accidentally hitting a string). I've found with any west end work, or even orchestra work, they want the more 'deadened' sound of a string. Bit like a double bass really.

In regards to the motown sponge, it means I can 'try' and fail to sound like Jamerson! :)

[quote name='TomKent' post='848715' date='May 26 2010, 05:22 PM']The sponge means I don't get ringing strings when I don't want them (although muting should do it - I'm prone to accidentally hitting a string). I've found with any west end work, or even orchestra work, they want the more 'deadened' sound of a string. Bit like a double bass really.

In regards to the motown sponge, it means I can 'try' and fail to sound like Jamerson! :)[/quote]

Ah i see, interesting idea :rolleyes:. may have to give it a go myself sometime!