Why become a member? ×

Upgrade advice please

andydonovan

Hi All,

I've been playing Upright Bass for a couple of years now ( Old Time County, Blues ) , I currently have a Stentor Conservatoire with Innovations on, although this has a really good tone I feel that now is the time to branch out.

I have about 1k plus the trade in on the Stentor. ( if anyone's interested ) I'd like something thats a little better quality to play.

If I go for new, I like the look of Engelhardt Swingmaster, but i'd imagine a nightmare to get over here in the UK, is there a UK equivalent?.

If I was to go vintage what would you suggest? I've heard the old pre 60's european basses are good?...i'd prefer to get from a dealer not from ebay if i can help it.

Also can anybody recommend a good shop/Luthier in the Peterborough/Cambridge area.

Look forward to hearing your views.

Cheers Andy

Edited by andydonovan

hey,

im currently selling a double bass from europe that you may be interested in...

It is around the same price bracket as the stentor but they sound chalk and cheese when played next to each other, if your interested let me know:)

If you want to go a level a bit above that you might want to have a look at the contrabasse shoppe website, they have some great old/new models that might suit!

Hope you find what your looking for!

Dara

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,
you may remember we spoke a while ago when you called about our basses. I spotted your post and thought that if you are still looking I would repeat my invitation to you to come down and see what we have. We are not too far away from Peterborough and I'm sure you will find our Bulgarian Kremona basses to your liking once you have become acquainted. They are extremely well made and have a great tone from the off. Over time they play in beautifully. We also offer a free-set up to your own personal spec on each bass sold. Each instrument also comes with a free six month service. All set-up and servicing is done by our in-house bass luthier. You can see and hear what some of our pro customers have had to say about these basses, and our service, here [url="http://www.sandarac.co.uk/endorsements.html"]http://www.sandarac.co.uk/endorsements.html[/url]

You would be most welcome anytime to come down and spend as much time as you like trying a few out. Just call ahead in advance.

All the best
Garry