Why become a member? ×

Nordstrand Big Singles *SOLD PENDING

*SOLD SOLD SOLD*
Four-string version, previously loaded into an Ibanez SR500. They are a soapbar shape similar to Bartolinis, with funky angled coils. These pickups sound fat, deep and grindy with plenty of single coil 'snap'. That Bloke from Jamiroquai who isn't Stu Zender uses them I think, and they're pretty popular with Sadowsky basses. I wired them passive with S1-type switching and this was very versatile tonally, the low-end punch sounded almost active.

Anyhow, they're truly great pickups, but I'm not keeping the Ibanez and I don't fancy making a hash of carving into my jazz bass to make them fit, so I may as well move them on. Good cosmetic condition!

PRICE DROP £90 including UK postage (padded bag and in their original box), these are £150 new from bass direct so a worthwhile saving.

[attachment=52045:DSCF1026.jpg]

[attachment=52046:DSCF1028.jpg]

Edited by LawrenceH

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='umph' post='865507' date='Jun 12 2010, 08:35 PM']will these fit in your standard jazz?[/quote]

No, their soapbar shape is much wider. Here's the blurb from the Nordstrand website, including dimensions:

big singles
single coil 4/5/6 string bass pickups

These pickups are all about huge, full, loud, aggressive single coil tone. They use the same magnet layout as the Fat Stack, and the resultantly big coil is about as much single coil pickup that can be packaged in a soap-bar cover. This is the ultimate pickup for the Jazz Bass®-on-steroids tone purist! These pickups will fit as replacements for Bartolini™ P2 (5 string) and BC (4 string) pickups. Dimensions are 4.25" by 1.25" and 3.95" by 1.25" respectively. Standard spacing is 19mm ctc at the bridge.

A couple of nibbles but no firm bites so far...bump for an awesome set of pickups! I have a feeling I might be waiting until someone's having a custom job or DIY build. But they're a great alternative to set of Barts if you fancy a more open sound.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='garethfriend' post='985419' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:02 AM']how did these compare to the barts in your ibanez sound wise? I'm thinking about chucking some in my btb but will have to some minor routing to fit them so want to be sure its what I'm after first.[/quote]

I found they had a lot more grind at the top end, with corresponding greater clarity (found the barts a bit muddy and indistinct). I certainly didn't lose anything at the bottom though, they are big-sounding pickups. In fact I felt the low E sounded both tighter and deeper. It's always hard to know for sure unless you back-and-forth between them a few times, but I was clear that I preferred the Nordys, they just sounded more 'full-range'. That's probably not a very helpful description, but it's hard to articulate these things!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='985871' date='Oct 12 2010, 04:16 PM']I found they had a lot more grind at the top end, with corresponding greater clarity (found the barts a bit muddy and indistinct). I certainly didn't lose anything at the bottom though, they are big-sounding pickups. In fact I felt the low E sounded both tighter and deeper. It's always hard to know for sure unless you back-and-forth between them a few times, but I was clear that I preferred the Nordys, they just sounded more 'full-range'. That's probably not a very helpful description, but it's hard to articulate these things![/quote]

That's good to know, you seem to be hearing the same things as me on the on the barts at least which is why I wanted to change them. I don't know why but for some reason they have put a shorter pickup in the btb so these would need a bit of routing doing to fit them, if you still have them when I have the money and someone to do the routing I may be interested. Big desision taking a router to my bass though so I'll let you know.

cheers

Gareth

[quote name='garethfriend' post='986088' date='Oct 12 2010, 07:19 PM']Big desision taking a router to my bass though so I'll let you know.

cheers

Gareth[/quote]

Yup, that's why I'm not fitting them to my jazz! I know they'd sound great if I did. I have actually toyed with the idea of just buying a cheap squier body to load them into, if they don't sell I might just do this. By the way are you sure they're a different size to the mk1s? Don't forget the bridge and neck pups are different lengths.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='987039' date='Oct 13 2010, 03:29 PM']Yup, that's why I'm not fitting them to my jazz! I know they'd sound great if I did. I have actually toyed with the idea of just buying a cheap squier body to load them into, if they don't sell I might just do this. By the way are you sure they're a different size to the mk1s? Don't forget the bridge and neck pups are different lengths.[/quote]

Hang on I'll check...

so I just checked and actually the nordstrand website-listed sizings are not right for my pickups at least, both are identical outer dimensions, using the smaller casing. However the bridge pup still has the pole pieces spaced apart further to suit a wider spacing at the bridge as you'd expect. Measures at just under 10.2 cm each.
I'll amend the item description appropriately at a more godly hour!