Why become a member? ×

Time for an extension cab - advice required

ShergoldSnickers

The present gear consists of an Eden Nemesis nc115 - the 250watts into 4 ohms one, not the higher output later rs115. I know the output jack for an extension cab is wired in series, but I can't get a definitive answer as to the impedance that the amp actually sees with the 15" driver. It's either 4 or 8 ohms depending on who I ask. If it's 8 ohms, a quick mod will enable me to have the extension output wired in parallel, and I can happily get a nice 2 x 10 also at 8 ohms. Anyone know for certain?

If it's 4 ohms, I'll have to plump for a 4 ohm extension cab. If this [b]IS[/b] the case, my reasoning is to go for a 4 x 10, so that I could buy a more powerful amp at a later date, and still make good use of the external cab, without having the need to buy any more cabs to go with it.

The obvious choices are the n210rs for the 2 x 10 option if the impedance is 8 ohms, and the n410rs if 4 ohms.

Any other reasonably lightweight cab suggestions whilst I'm about it? Budget around £450, and I prefer the basic sound to be more on the hi-fi end than 'interestingly characterful'! It's a chance to plug any gear you have for for sale too!

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='839064' date='May 16 2010, 06:15 PM']The present gear consists of an Eden Nemesis nc115 - the 250watts into 4 ohms one, not the higher output later rs115. I know the output jack for an extension cab is wired in series, but I can't get a definitive answer as to the impedance that the amp actually sees with the 15" driver. It's either 4 or 8 ohms depending on who I ask. If it's 8 ohms, a quick mod will enable me to have the extension output wired in parallel, and I can happily get a nice 2 x 10 also at 8 ohms. Anyone know for certain?

If it's 4 ohms, I'll have to plump for a 4 ohm extension cab. If this [b]IS[/b] the case, my reasoning is to go for a 4 x 10, so that I could buy a more powerful amp at a later date, and still make good use of the external cab, without having the need to buy any more cabs to go with it.

The obvious choices are the n210rs for the 2 x 10 option if the impedance is 8 ohms, and the n410rs if 4 ohms.

Any other reasonably lightweight cab suggestions whilst I'm about it? Budget around £450, and I prefer the basic sound to be more on the hi-fi end than 'interestingly characterful'! It's a chance to plug any gear you have for for sale too![/quote]

Looks like I have an answer. A Barefaced one - thanks Alex. Time to start counting pennies.