Why become a member? ×

Spector LX5 - replacement preamp

tuss

I bought myself a Euro LX4 a few years ago and its been my main bass for the last couple of years. As I liked the sound and playability so much I decided to purchase a Euro LX5 as was really in need of a 5 string bass. I must say although it's a very playable bass, I'm not overly keen on the sound and it's not a patch on the LX4. It seems to lack the punch and bottom end of the LX4. I'm considering replacing the tone-pump with another preamp and have noticed a few members on here opting for the East U-retro preamp and wondered what peoples experience of this upgrade has been. Unfortunately I've not had the chance to hear the difference between the two preamps so am a little reluctant to spend another £200 to find that the bass is still not for me.

Would really welcome any feedback on this, alternatively I can see me trading the bass for something like a Stingray 5.

for what its worth,I`ve recently had an aguilar 3 band eq put into my trb5p yamaha and am very pleased with it .Also they are somewhat cheaper than a lot of other eq`s.

hope this helps!

I have a Euro 5 with a modified U-Retro 5 knob deluxe & it's great. I also had a TP'd 4LX & if anything I'd say the 5 has more bollocks, as I always boosted the 4's bass & don't need to use the 5's eq at all. Can't compare the TP & East in the 5 though as mine already had it.

4 knobs -

Vol / pan stacked
Bass / treble stacked with pull bright
Mid freq / cut & boost stacked
Passive tone [works in active too] with pull passive

Try PM's to GreeneKing & Sean on here, they had them installed & could comment far more on the comparisons between the pre's.

Keep them both, I should have.

Edited by johnnylager

For a preamp, have a look at the ACG pre at the [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk"]AC Guitars website.[/url] It's a heckuva piece of kit

I don't know whether the pickups could be the problem, hopefully some LX5 owners will chime in on that one. I've had a problem with pre's before and changing the pickup rather than the pre was the problem. It was a darn sight cheaper too.