Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SOLD - 1970s Carlsbro TC100 - SOLD

[size=7][b]THIS AMP HAS NOW BEEN SOLD.[/b][/size]

OK, first off, you see these 70s Carlsbro beasts come up from time to time on Ebay, but most are in poor internal condition - I know, I've owned a few and most look like they've never been serviced, let alone recently! The price varies from about 150-300 quid, but a lot of these amps are in need of a lot of work before they're reliable and gig-ready. Well, not this baby!

What I'm offering here is an amp that would be perfect for a gigging musician who wants a vintage tone machine that you can actually safely and reliably gig right off the bat - it's just spent 6 months at the end of last year with one of the best techs in the South West, having a total internal work-over at a cost to me of 200 quid! All the major caps have been replaced with the best quality modern equivalents, the bulgin socket has been replaced with a modern kettle lead socket. It has brand new Svetlana EL34s and new JJs in the preamp, but I will also put in 3x NOS Mullard ECC81 and 1x NOS Brimar ECC81 if you prefer as I just bought these with the intention of fitting them. It still has its original legendary Partridge trasformers, the Rolls Royce of vintage transformers - some say they best ever made! They're the same ones used in all the super-expensive Marshalls of the same era. I've seen these trannies fetch hundreds themselves, and I'm aware that some people buy amps like this simply to cannibalise for the trannies alone.

This particular example is in fair condition cosmetically, a few scuffs as you'd expect and a bit of tolex scuffed off the bottom - it'd be great for a gigging musician who wants something with a bit of old school, weathered visual kudos!

Sound-wise, it's pure vintage British valve tone - and then some. This amp is a real monster! I used to own a Marshall Superbass MKII and this certainly competes with that. It's got two channels, the first of which is designed as a bass/keyboard input - it has a huge bottom end. Interestingly, it also has an original built-in limiter knob which acts like an attenuator to allow you to drive the amp at lower volumes, something I've never seen before on any other vintage amps!

Since the service, the amp has been gigged twice and performed wonderfully on both occasions. At both shows I had a couple of people come up and ask me about the amp, as you don't often see these around these days. Main reason for sale is simple financial necessity - plus I'm just more of an EL84 man, my Orange AD30 will always be my one true love! I'm looking to add an American-voiced amp to my stable, and something British-voiced has to make way!

Just to recap (ho ho), the service cost 200, the quad of new tubes were also just shy of 100 quid and the amp itself cost me 250 when I bought it. The preamp tubes were about 40 quid, give or take a few quid depending on whether you want the JJs or NOS tubes. I'm willing to let it go for 400 or a good offer. I'm also open to sensible trade requests! I'm based in Devon but could get a courier quote if anyone's interested.

Edited by Le Chat Noir

hiya, do you have any pictures of the top of the chassis? Would you mind saying who the tech is aswell and could you point out which caps have been changed most of those look very era accurate.

Edited by umph

[quote name='umph' post='827561' date='May 4 2010, 03:29 PM']hiya, do you have any pictures of the top of the chassis? Would you mind saying who the tech is aswell and could you point out which caps have been changed most of those look very era accurate.[/quote]

Hi umph! Well noticed on the period-spec caps - that pic is in fact of the chassis PRE-service! I've just opened her up and took some up-to-date pics (now in original post) - I also remembered that the tech put in new pre tubes too actually, JJs, but I also have some NOS tubes I'm willing to bung in if someone's interested.

If you need any closer detail pics of the innards, I've left the amp open on my desk for the moment so feel free to ask!

The tech was Pete of V-Amps, as you can see from the invoice I attached - he is the guy used and recommended by Mansons in Exeter for all their amp repairs. He's good, but also takes an age as he has a lot of work backed up!!

[quote name='Baskesman' post='827484' date='May 4 2010, 02:27 PM']Wowza, why don I live in Inglan?[/quote]

You could be in luck, as my band gig in Belgium regularly - in fact, the two gigs the amp's done were gigs a couple of weeks ago in Belgium! I would be happy to meet you next time we're over if you're seriously interested! :)

Edited by Le Chat Noir

[quote name='oldmanrock' post='827958' date='May 4 2010, 10:09 PM']Bought one of these new from Carlsbro's in Chesterfield when they first came out in the mid 70s I think it was. Wish I still had it, a monster of an amp!!!!!!!![/quote]

Well, here's a chance to own one again!! :)

[quote name='the_underling' post='828481' date='May 5 2010, 02:40 PM']Whats the impedence on the amp? i.e. does it run into 4 or 8 or however many Ohms.[/quote]

It can run at 4, 8 or 16.

[quote]Roughly, how much does it weigh?[/quote]

The amp weighs 23kg, a lot of that is in those huge transformers! :)