Why become a member? ×

Setup Costs & Recommendations in the UK

al_bass_uk

Hi folks, glad I found a UK based DB forum! Maybe you guys can help...

Just got a new bass and am considering a setup to my new Stentor Student I after I get some new strings. Currently it's a bit dull sounding.

I've been getting some quotes from a few local luthiers/repair shops and the prices range from £145 to almost £200 just for the labour (adjusting nut, bridge and soundpost)!

I'm getting mixed advice on how much I SHOULD be paying and even if it's worth it for such a cheap instrument.

Any advice on the work I should be having done, pricing or the recommendation of a good luthier in the West Midlands would be gratefully appreciated.

I have a Stentor Elysia and plan to have it set up soon - I was expecting to pay £200 +/-£50 for a decent set up so your figures don't look surprising. I know the bridge position and string height needs sorting out and the fingerboard may need planing a touch to get it nice although it's playable at the moment.

Biggest improvement to the sound will be changing the strings on a Stentor, as new they come with the cheapest steels. Put some decent strings on and it makes a world of difference - do that and play it a bit, recover from the financial shock of the strings and then get the set up done.

Sorry can't help you with luthiers in the west midlands, although you could try Paul Bryant he's near Kidderminster.

Cheers

Neil

Cheers Neil. I'm a little more comfortable now you've said that, mind you I almost feel like I should have had a second income before I started playing the bass :)

I think it's DEFIANTLY strings this month and a set up later down the line.

I've dropped Paul an email too as he's just under an hour away.

Just out of interest, will you be having new parts with your setup or just adjustments of existing materials?

No probs, there's others here with far more experience than me here who will probably chime in.

It is an expensive hobby it must be said. Strings can cost about 10x the cost of an electric bass set but should last you very much longer. They're also much more significant to the overall sound so don't skimp. Unfortunately it's a very expensive trial-and-error process to find the ones you like, try to ask a teacher or an experienced player for some guidance. There's also plenty of opinion on strings here and on talkbass :)

I've never had a set-up done before so I will be learning as I go through the process. I don't expect to change anything unless it's broken and there's no sign of that, so I expect a setup using what's already there. At least that's the current plan... :rolleyes:

Bought my first bass from a place called Highfield Violins in Brum, but I think that place moved years ago. Google them though.
There also used to a nice little luthier based in Stratford who did some work for me once... google again.

If you can bare atrip down the M40, Peter Tyler near Reading does set ups and great luthiery. V friendly, not at all snobbish about modern cheap basses. Great bloke.

SHout if you're after more guidance on set up and costs.
I tendto post over on Doublebasschat.com more, but the UK feel around here is nice!