Why become a member? ×

EBS valvedrive

ianSB

Yes - it sounds good. You can get a really nice warm overdrive sound and don't lose bottom end. I've also used when recording to get a warm, slightly overdriven sound which it did well. Main negative point for me is that it's quite big! Not a problem for a lot of people I'm sure.

Anrew

I have one.

It is really good at getting a true valve overdrive or acting as a really nice sweet sounding preamp, but I do have a few issues with it.

1. The vintage setting is really fluffy and a bit ill-defined so not much use.
2. It does take a bit to get used to the EQ settings.
3. When used live, there has been a noticeable 'click' when swiched on and off on my one. I leave it on most of the time but it is very annoying.
4. Construction issues, the rubber feet keep falling off and the gain knob fell off once. For the price I paid this should not be an issue really.
5. No UK plug is supplied, so you have to buy an adapter
6. It is massive!

Its got to the point now that I just use it for recording/practices. I'm not sure I trust valve pedals to play gig after gig, night after night. I also have the Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n which I think gives a more gnarly, unrefined sound for a lot less money. Depends on what you are after soundwise.

Given the choice again, I would maybe have gone with the Multidrive or have waited for the Metaldrive.

As it is, I'm back using the Boss ODB 3, as I find the blend knob to be useful and there are no construction fears. The core tone is really coming from my bass and amp really.

Edited by thodrik