Why become a member? ×

Bass Harmonics in Standard notation

Kraken

I'm starting to learn to read Bass Harmonics in Standard notation, it isn't as easy as straight Bass Clef.

do any of you have an A4 PDF (one or two sides of) that will help me tie up the notes on the Musical Staff to the location of the harmonic on the fretboard?

I would prefer that it used treble clef rather than lots of ledger lines but something is better than nothing.

It would be nice to not have to go and buy a book just for this.

kind of like the second link in this post

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='736674' date='Feb 5 2010, 10:13 PM'][url="http://www.studybass.com/tools/chord-scale-note-printer/"]This one?[/url] Just go to the "harm" tab and click "show all".
<two minutes later>
[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/429522/Harmonics.pdf"]Here you go.[/url][/quote]

but with the notes also tied to the musical staff.

The standard way to write harmonics on "classical" double bass (other than the octave eg G on 3rd ledger line above the stave, which would be written with an " o " on it ) is to write the note of the string, let's say D for example, with the note under the finger position you want, let's say A over the F (3rd fret) as a diamond headed note placed on the same stem. This example would give you a high "A". Have a look at DB parts from works by Debussy and Ravel. They are peppered with harmonics.

This method of writing harmonics has worked for over a hundred years, and is easily transferrable to BG. And it's usually written in bass clef making it easier to read.

This also works for false harmonics - the lower note being the stopped note, the upper being the harmonic.

Hope this helps.

The Major

That sorta makes sense to on the first read, I will have another read of it later today when I'm not getting ready for work and I'm sure it will be spot on.

So I'd just need that sheet with the harmonics note names after all.

Thanks Major! (and BottomEndian - who posted the Harmonics Sheet)