Why become a member? ×

Eden WTX500

cureswhatailsye

Hi everyone,

Just took delivery of an Eden WTX500 after a 6 month wait. Not many reviews of this little baby around so thought I'd feed back about it. I got tired of lugging a big ashdown rig around for 5 years and bought this on a slight whim, as I couldn't track one down to try out! (Having lusted after Eden gear since I was a bright eyed teen working in the Brum Bass Centre)

[url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/amps/indiv/wtx500.aspx"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/a...div/wtx500.aspx[/url]

Price paid= £569 new (from the Bass Centre)

Its a great little head, but apparently they've stopped making them since David Eden left.

[b]First the tech specs:
[/b]
Front end consists of 7 pots, (with push/pull functions making them multi function)=

Gain (pull for 12db pad)
Enhance (pull to bypass built in gain compressor) - this is a really cool scoop effect basically... boosts very low bass, upper middle and highs while scooping low middles (a similar but more punchy effect than the NE-1 EQ pedal)
Bass EQ - standard 30Hz +/- 15dB (pull for the bass boost - this is seriously cool, uses something called a Fletcher-Munson curve to fill out the very bottom, so the tone is seriously fat even at low levels. Unlike the bass boosts on some amps, the effect is lessened as volume increases, making tone consistent as your up the volume)
Mid EQ - a choice (push/pull) of 550hz and 2.2khz
High EQ - standard 2KHz =/- 15dB (pull for post eq send on the on board DI)

+ Input jack, effects send and return jacks, stereo aux input jacks, tuner out, mute button, clip light

On the back=

D.I out
Optional footswitch input (for mute toggle and enhance circuit bypass)
Ground lift
D.I level control
Headphone jack
2 jack speaker outs
1 speakon out

Power rating= 280W @ 8Ohms/ 500W @ 4Ohms

Other cool features: passive cooling system which, if the amp overheats, will reduce the output without cutting the DI or eq, until the unit cools back down.

[b]What I think:[/b]

(I've tried with a fretted TRB4 and a fretless V, and paired up with a GS112) - I play: Jazz, soul, blues, pop and shows

My first impressions of the sound of this were the amazing clarity and fat bottom end. I don't think I'll ever be disengaging the bass boost, because it gives such amazing bottom end, while retaining clarity at the top.

Where the EQ section is concerned, a little goes a very long way! I have basically left the EQ flat and gone with the enhance control to get my sound. Apart from a little mid tweak here and there, i haven't even needed the rest of the EQ so far.

The on board compressor is good for tight, punchy fingerstyle, and level of compression is set with the gain pot. Higher compressions gives a great slap tone, when you fiddle the enhance knob up slightly.

In terms of volume, I've only run this at 280W, which filled a 400 seater theatre behind a very loud big band, with output at about 1 o'clock, so its ample for me. I would love to hear it with a partner for my lonely GS112 (any offers?). I got a load of comments after the gig about how nice it sounded, and the drummer was especially impressed (always a good sign).

I am yet to use the D.I but will post on it when I've tried it out.

[b]My conclusions[/b]

Having only ever owned fairly low end gear this is a serious step up. However, I have played through a fair few amps and this licks anything I've tried. I've read reviews saying the Little Mark is better, but I haven't tried one so can't comment.

The only con I can find is that this thing is so small, I'm scared of breaking it, or getting it nicked at a gig, and it needs a sturdy case to carry it around.

Hope this is helpful if anyone is considering.

Nick