Why become a member? ×

Flying with EUB

Dave Coxell

Hi folks,
I have just collected a "Stico" EUB from the Tuscan luthier Biarnel (http://www.Biranel.com). I'd just like to say that RyanAir were brilliant. I bought a ticket for it, and it fitted perfectly in the seat-well next to me in its custom gig bag. British Airways had said it was too long. I was concerned first of all that they would refuse it, and secondly that they would make me remove the strings. In fact they couldn't have been more helpful. I wonder if anyone else out there has experience flying with EUBs and any tips for how best to cope?
As for the Stico itself, I'm really pleased with it. It's of the type that aims to be just like a double bass, not like a long-scale fretless bass guitar. This is what I wanted, and what a great sound! I would thoroughly recommend the maker - He did a great job at a very reasonable price.
Dave

I've flown many times with my GEL Eminence Portable Upright Bass - always with the neck detached and inside it's flight case, except for once when I chanced my arm and brought it onboard a RyanAir flight to London, but that was at least 5/6 years ago when the were less narky than they are now.

Best way to cope if you don't want to buy an extra seat each time is to get a flight case made, or look into long golf cases, the light weight molded plastic ones.