Why become a member? ×

String advice sought for my USA Fender Jazz V Deluxe

martindupras

I've recently acquired a '99 USA Fender Jazz V Deluxe (thanks to Barrie on here!)

It's lovely.

I would have loved to put my usual brand of strings, which is Warwick Black Label .045-.135 stainless steel tapered.

However, I tried two sets and in both cases the B-string broke at the tuning post. My guess is that, because of the 5-a-side headstock design, which puts the B tuner close to the nut, the string winds on the post with all three windings, the outer two of which become like scissors and cut the core.

In any case: I'm looking for a replacement, but am having difficulty finding what I want.

Can anyone recommend strings that are:

- tapered
- stainless steel
- 34" scale
- .045, .065, .085, .105, .135

I intend to string them through the bridge rather than body, so it is quite important that the full outer windings don't extend too far behind the nut, if that makes sense.

I found the D'Addario ProSteels, but I can't find out for sure if the strings are tapered, and there's nowhere on the D'Addario what they mean by long scale. I would have thought 34" was medium scale, but they have short and long scale only.

Many thanks. Any pointers greatly appreciated!

- martin

Hi,
I'm posting a reply to 'bump' this thread , I too would like some views on this . I use a standard Jazz V and I really do think its the business , but this issue on the B string and its close proximity to the nut is one that needs a clear set of answers ,and I would think some of the Jazz 5 afficionados on this forum will have valuable experience to share . I use Ernie Ball flatwounds, the b string is a 130 and does need to be wound so that the outer winding is opening up on the tuning peg , the strings should take this without cutting themselves in two , but like you i have in the past had a new string snap whilst taking up the initial slack.

cheers :)