Why become a member? ×

Sandberg JM4 through a cheap amp

alexisonfire

I've had my JM4 for a couple of months now and up until now I had only played it through my AD200b + 410hlf. I've started keeping the head in my room so no one could mess around with it when I'm not there. So my house mate has gone out and bough a Marshall MB4210 for band pracs because he was using my setup.

Obviously we had to compare, different combination's of gear ect. He uses an Epi Tbird, I'd go as far as saying the Marshall is worth the money for the price. The modern channel is god damn awful (imo) but the classic channel is good. It has one ECC83 pre amp valve that gives it a little bit of growl which is a nice tone for the price. (This is using the Tbird).

So then I plug in the Sandberg ...

S**t Son!! It sounded so damn nice (obviously not on par with my Orange). I didn't realise until now how much of a difference a decent bass makes to the tone. Plugging into the Orange there's already an amazing tone there, the bass just adds its own characteristics to the tone. Through a cheap amp you can really appreciate the quality and the tone just from the bass without aid of an expensive amp.

Anyway, I will be quiet now!