Why become a member? ×

Strings - taper/exposed core

Cieran

Hello everyone - this is my first post on basschat so please be kind!

I am new to the world of bass and only last month got my first guitar - a short scale Gretsch G2202 electromatic junior jet. I love it's scale length as it provides a fairly easy transition from regular guitar which I have been playing 5+ years. Since I got it I have been going through the process of trying different types of strings - chromes, nickels, gold-plated and finally steels.

I'm currently using some La Bella Hard Rockin' steels which I am really happy with - tone and tension wise, but was thinking of trying some Super Steps after reading up on them. However from what I can tell the general consensus is that taper/ exposed core strings have less tension due to their reduced mass - is this right??

I detune this bass a fair bit with heavy gauge strings (54-111), so it is essential I crank as much tension out of the strings as possible. Also on a side note I have read on another forum that it is possible to get a similar taper/ exposed core tone out of regular strings by bending them at the bridge and nut to create a good 'witness point'. Is this something that anyone has come across??

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!