Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

G4M bass Guitar

sharon

I've not tried one either, but looking at pictures on the web it does seem a bit light on contouring - the belly and forearm contours are not very deep and the edge radii are small. Not necessarily a bad thing as there are some quality instruments about with completely slab (i.e. uncontoured on the front or back) bodies. But some players find them very uncomfortable.

Like Jack says, a secondhand instrument will probably get you far more for your money.

Ive tried a friends G4M Precision bass. It is very good for the money i think, I gave it a really quick set up and it played pretty nicely, terrible out of the box though to be honest, It was fairly heavy, But i think its a good choice, Maybe some other members can point out some nicer starter basses.

+ On getting a secondhand instrument for your first, Deffo more for your money!

If you go for a squier try to find a Standard at a good price. The cheaper affinity series (identifiable by the words 'P Bass' or 'J Bass' on the head, rather than Precision/Jazz Bass) can be extremely variable in their build quality. Though somewhat confusingly, sellers will sometimes describe their Standard series instrument as a P Bass.

If it were me, I'd be looking at [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aria-Pro-II-SG-Cardinal-Series_W0QQitemZ290399301582"]this auction[/url] or [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARIA-PRO-II-BASS_W0QQitemZ220550602011"]this one[/url]. I've got two of these and use them over my other far more expensive instruments - they're now of an age where they can be described as genuinely vintage, and come from a (now sadly defunct) manufacturer which has a burgeoning reputation for producing quality instruments. Both of mine cost less than £100 including the postage.

If the one with the silly BIN doesn't get any bids, or the other isn't being too optimistic with the reserve, they're well worth a punt.