Why become a member? ×

TE Combo went pop, should I worry?

mikebass78

I was trying out a new pedal at normal practice/small stage volume, when I toggled the pedal back on I heard a loud pop and since then my input level shows constant signal, whether or not bass or pedal turned up. The level also runs into the red when playing, but not consistantly with the notes played, there is sometimes a small delay of half a second or so. I would think this would sound crap (I've always to tried to avoid this before), but there is no audible difference as far as I can tell*.
I play through a TraceElliott SS 500w 15" combo, has anyone had problems like this? Is it possible that the "pop" has affected the pre-amp or power amp in a way that I won't know until it melts?

EDIT : there is a low level hiss/white noise, it is affected by the input level and is constant while there is a lead plugged in, and it wasn't there before.

Edited by mikebass78

[quote name='mikebass78' post='712588' date='Jan 14 2010, 02:24 PM']I was trying out a new pedal at normal practice/small stage volume, when I toggled the pedal back on I heard a loud pop and since then my input level shows constant signal, whether or not bass or pedal turned up. The level also runs into the red when playing, but not consistantly with the notes played, there is sometimes a small delay of half a second or so. I would think this would sound crap (I've always to tried to avoid this before), but there is no audible difference as far as I can tell*.
I play through a TraceElliott SS 500w 15" combo, has anyone had problems like this? Is it possible that the "pop" has affected the pre-amp or power amp in a way that I won't know until it melts?

EDIT : there is a low level hiss/white noise, it is affected by the input level and is constant while there is a lead plugged in, and it wasn't there before.[/quote]
is it still there with the lead out? sounds like your new pedal has a noisey bypasss

[quote name='mikebass78' post='715771' date='Jan 17 2010, 04:28 PM']bump, getting worried about it now[/quote]

I am an ignorant buffoon compared to many people here, but this sounds like it might be a capacitor failure somewhere? Since it's affecting the input level monitoring it's almost certainly in the preamp stage, possibly in the circuitry that feeds the input level lights themselves. Almost certainly repairable by someone who knows what they're doing. But that's not me sadly!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='715927' date='Jan 17 2010, 07:30 PM']I am an ignorant buffoon compared to many people here, but this sounds like it might be a capacitor failure somewhere? Since it's affecting the input level monitoring it's almost certainly in the preamp stage, possibly in the circuitry that feeds the input level lights themselves. Almost certainly repairable by someone who knows what they're doing. But that's not me sadly![/quote]

Thanks for the help, think I'll have to get it looked at just to be safe