Why become a member? ×

The Major's Bass Boot Camp (Session 11)

Major-Minor

The Major's Boot Camp (Session 11)

Alternative Fingerings

There are always several different ways of fingering the same passage. And during rehearsal, I will usually try various options before finally deciding on the best. However, sometimes I just wing it during the performance and do what ever comes naturally.
But to be this flexible, one has to have all the alternatives (literally) at one's fingertips. A good working knowledge of the fingerboard only comes with time and patience, and constant practice.

Here I have written a short piece based on Grieg's "In the Hall Of The Mountain King" from "Peer Gynt". I hope Grieg will forgive me for taking liberties with his great melody !

[attachment=40091:MBBC11.pdf]
[attachment=40092:MBBC11.mp3]

I have fingered Bars 1 to 17 (for Bass Guitar) in the lower positions (using 4th finger in place of 3rd), and if I was sight reading with no prior visual scanning of the part, this is probably how I would finger it. This is also pretty much how I would finger it on Double Bass (but with 4th finger rather than 3rd on the A# and D#).

Bars 17 onwards, however, are fingered further up the fingerboard, firstly in 7th position and then in 6th. This is clearly easier as long as you are familiar with this area of the board. This is how I would finger it having looked at the various options .

Just to be clear, the E# is quite correct (rather than F natural) as it makes it easier to "see" the Major 3rd between E# and C#, especially as we then have E natural and C natural, also a Major 3rd.
Its important to be able to spot intervals that can be easily played on the bass. There's no easy formula for this however - it's just down to practice.

The Major

Edited by Major-Minor