Why become a member? ×

Squier CV 60's Precision

thinman

Bought from new from Digital Village - have owned this for only a week now and used at band practice for about 3 hours.

[b]Features: 9[/b]
Well, it's a P fitted with a finger rest under the strings and complete with an ash tray over the bridge.
Much as I liked the look of the ash tray it was taken off within 5 minutes as I like to mute when picking with the side of my hand but this has the downside of leaving two screwholes in what is a fantastic paint job.

The hi-mass bridge appeared to be well made and a vast improvement on the standard Fender pressed version. The saddle adjustments move freely (maybe too much so?). The pots have a nice damped feel.

It's a basic P so there's not much to say on the features.

[b]Sound: 9[/b]

Growls nicely with a rich tone that grew on me by the minute. The bass was virtually noiseless even at very high gains and the pickups seem quite hot (but, expectedly, not as much as the Wizard 84s on my Jazz).

I like the factory fit strings (they have coloured bullets - anyone know what make these are?) They seem to have a much lower tension than the Rotosounds on my Jazz.

[b]Action, Fit and Finish: Fit and Finish 10, Action 5[/b]

I'm incredibly impressed at the build quality and can't really fault it at all. The paint work is excellent, the neck fits precisely, all of the screws are dead square with no sign of any stripped heads. All of the metalwork looks substantial and well chromed. The paint and laquer is virtually perfect.

My only disappointment was the delivery setup. The action and/or kneck adjustment is obviously out - the action was very low but there was considerable rattle around the 3rd fret on all strings. However, I'm confident that a bit of tweaking will improve this.

[b]Reliability/Durability: ?[/b]

Can't say but the build quality would lead me to think it will mature nicely.

Overall Rating: 10 - for the price - fantastic. After a couple of hours playing it was putting a real smile on my face. I must admit I was suffering a bit of brand snobbery and thought I'd only use this as a backup what with the Squier name on the headstock. Now I'm thinking I'd be more than happy to be seen with this.

Edited by thinman