Why become a member? ×

Bass Interview Questions

jackp86

Hi
My name is Jack I am a bass player I play both bass guitar and string bass. I am currently studying the MA level in popular music. Part of the course requires that I do a project into an area which interests me.
I have chosen to research into the role of the bass player with the shift from the string bass to the bass guitar within the 1950s to present and including popular music styles. I was wondering if you could please help me by answering a small number of interview questions in relation to this, to form a true opinion.
Thank you for your time and for helping me with this.

Jack

1) How do you see the role of the bass player in your band or ensemble?

2) How significant do you think the bass guitar has become over the last four decades?

3) What was the impact of the bass guitar on the string bass community when it was developed during the 1950s?

4) As a bassist do you think the bass guitar is easier to play than the string bass? Why?

5) Do you think the development of the bass guitar in the 1950s had an important role in making it suitable as a solo instrument over the string bass and why?

6) What do think the reasons were for the shift in the string bass to the bass guitar?

7) Who do you think are the main exponents who contributed to the string bass/bass guitar and why?

8) What is the essence and importance of the bass instrument within the popular music idiom? Choose one genre for example Rock, Jazz.

9) Do you think there will be an instrument that replaces the bass guitar in the popular idiom?

10) Do you think that the development of the bass player’s role in popular music since the introduction of the bass guitar has helped the bass player to become more involved, creative and expressive with composing? If so give some examples

11) Which genres show a strong focus on the bass instrument as an accompanist as well as a soloist?

12) How should the bass player’s role within an ensemble/trio interact with the other parts?

13) How has the construction of bass guitar/string bass had an impact on the development on the music?

14) How would you choose between the string bass and the bass guitar for a particular piece of music?