Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ibanez CT Bass issues with pickups

SSP

Just got my new bass of Fleabay and on testing one pickup (neck I think) is working fine, as are the tone / boost controls (it is an active model) but the bridge pick up is dead and hisses loads but no output.

I have checked the battery (fine) and the earth on the pot that is not working (re-soldered as it was held on by 2 strands!) All other connections look fine but it does cut out occasionally until I take the cover off and wiggle the wires :)

As it was cheap and I like tinkering I happy to mess about with this but don't fancy spending £hundreds on new bits!

So any stuff to check (I have a multi meter...) first of all?

I can post pictures if that will help.

Thanks,

SSP

Try checking the wires coming out of each pickup. They should read around 8 - 10 k ohms.

If they're fine then it'll be a case of finding a dodgy connection. Could be worth getting hold of some new CTS pots to replace the originals. They're only 4 quid each or so and are really good quality.

• 1 year later...

Old post I know but the actives in the CT V (four stringer is passive) are notoriously ropey. The pickups are connected on by a horrible pin connector of the type that would normally be used for a ribbon connector - think it has 7 or 8 pins, but only 4 are used - could it be that someone has reconnected one end to the wrong pin?

I stuck an Overwater 2 Band (£80 direct from Overwater at the time) in and it sounds great, Pups are apparently EMG Select (although mine aren't labelled as such). I put a few pics up of the mod somewhere else at the time and had a few people com back asking me questions about the original board.