Why become a member? ×

Powered mixers

KennysFord

Hey Folks,
We did our first gig last night and yours truly plus one other band member got to set up and take down the PA.
As it was already set up in the rehearsal room the entire process of stripping it,loading it,setting it up then everything again in reverse made for a very hectic and full afternoon/evening.
The PA consists of a rack with x/over and 3 very heavy amps,subs,tops stage box monitors etc etc etc.
As this was such a major undertaking i'm wondering if we should get a decent powered mixer and go for a speaker set up with passive x/overs.Sounds a lot easier to me.
What do you thing guys,the way to go or no.
Any input appreciated. :)

[quote name='crez5150' post='668261' date='Nov 28 2009, 01:49 PM']To be honest you should look the other way around..... Powered speakers that have matched amps and DSP already built in.... then just add whichever mixer you need.[/quote]

Cheers Crez,
I'm a total noob at this stuff really so can you explain matched amps and the built in DSP.
Thanks again,
Pete. :)

Most reputable PA speaker manufacturers have powered speakers in their ranges. The better models also have DSP built into the amplification module which handle eq, cross-over settings, limiting amongst the functions.
When I say matched amps what I mean is that the amps are usually matched to meet the demands of the speaker/box size that they are fitted in, therefore giving you the best possible amplification for the system.

J

Powered speakers and a small mixer with built-in FX is the way to go. That then means you're only transporting two speakers, a mixer, a box of cables and some speakers stands.

We use Alto PS4 powered cabs and a Behringer 1204FX mixer. That set up has done over 100 gigs and parties and always worked a treat. Those cabs sound like hi-fi speakers too, very clear.

Edit: in answer to your original questions, I've always been underwhelmed with powered mixers. They always seem weedy and the sound quality isn't too good.

Edited by stingrayfan

Thanks for the replies guys.
A couple of things,
there are some fairly tight restraints on our budget at the moment,the Alto's mentioned are a possibility in a month or two's time.The other thing is our drummer uses an electronic kit .We think we'll need subs for the kick drum,whaddya think ??
Thanks again.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='668477' date='Nov 28 2009, 05:08 PM']Thanks for the replies guys.
A couple of things,
there are some fairly tight restraints on our budget at the moment,the Alto's mentioned are a possibility in a month or two's time.The other thing is our drummer uses an electronic kit .We think we'll need subs for the kick drum,whaddya think ??
Thanks again.[/quote]

Ive been using a Yamaha EMX 5000-12 for a while, its not available any more but is loud and reliable and could be a good buy second hand...

G...