Why become a member? ×

A week is a long time in bass guitars......

ianwild16

After not changing me bass guitar for the last 2yrs-ish I'll have managed to go through half a dozen *hopefully* by the end of next week. Let me explain.....
[b]Bass No. 1[/b]
Bought my trusty Mexican Precision off ebay from a guy in York - black with 3-ply black scratchplate and rosewood neck.
[attachment=36829:full_frontal.JPG]
Great action with never any probs but after selling my Digital camera and lenses and squirreling away any brucie bonuses from gigs I'd saved enough to by summat else - I fancied a Jazz Bass.
Put a couple of posts on here asking for any - had a few interesting offers but they were either too far away to collect or too expensive.
Ended up putting a blog on the Northwest Bands web site asking for a jazz, again offered a few nice guitars but nothing which fiited the bill. But I found a guitar for sale which is my dream bass -
US Precision with through body stringing, black with black scratch plate and a MAPLE neck. Think Roger Waters/Stranglers/Bruce Foxton.
But won't be available until this Saturday.
But to buy it I've had to sell my MIM P Bass.
Sold it on here...
[attachment=36830:Bubble_wrapped.JPG] [attachment=36831:UPS_man.JPG]....Mr UPS man before he dropped kicked it into the back of his van....
But because I'd managed to sell it so quick it left me without a bass for this weekends gigs!
Ended up borrowing two guitars from blokes at work.
[b]Bass No. 2[/b]
Crafter Cruiser MB-500 Bass.
[attachment=36832:Full_Crafter.JPG]
Musicman Stingray Copy. roughly £180 new, ebay - less than £65. It Needed a good clean!
Fair condition to body, with Neck pretty straight with no obvious buzzing or dead spots.
BUT...The pots scratch, The action is high, I don't have the correct allen key to lower the bridge saddles and worst of all The jack socket 'spits' out the guitar lead. Opened it up at the back and there's a retaining metal clip which is pushing out the plug. Bent it back to stop it putting pressure on the plug.
The plug keeps in place now, but its a bit loose.
Would have had to gaffa tape the lead to the guitar if i gigged it.
Ended up borrowing another bass from someone else at work...
[b]
Bass No.3[/b]
Maya Jazz bass copy
[attachment=36834:Maya_Full.JPG]
Nice Sunburst finish, but Bridge volume control doesn't work and you could have drove a bus between the strings and the fretboard!
After pulling me hair out trying to sort out the action and intonation I phoned the guitarist/singer in my band and asked to borrow his guitar...
[b]Bass No.4[/b]
Stagg Stingray copy
[attachment=36835:Stagg_Full.JPG]
At last something I could gig! played it for the first time at fri nights gig.
Bit of getting used to but got the hang of OK in the end!
[attachment=36836:DSC00067.JPG]
Offered to buy him some new strings, but got a bit waylaid in the guitar shop when I spotted this beaut...
[b]Bass No.5[/b]
Squire Classic Vibe Jazz Bass
[attachment=36837:CV_Squier_Full_2.JPG]
Bought it from PMT in Salford.
It was £299 in the shop, but I knew GAK were selling it at £249 which they matched, no questions asked!
Sounded just as good as the Mexican 60's classic bass on the wall, with a better neck/body fit.
Awesome at the the gig Sat night, the thinner frets really help when your sliding up or down the fretboard.
And a Lovely glossy neck!
And still enough dosh for me new (to me) bass on Sat!.....TO BE CONTINUED!