Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz Std Refin

maxrossell

Hey hey

I'm in the process of redoing a trans-walnut Std Squier Jazz I bought off here a while back. I'll be slinging some new pups in there as well but I'm already sorted for that.

What I'm wondering is specifically the best way to treat the body - I'm going to do a refin in olympic white (or similar off-white), but I'm wondering if I need to prime this - the surface of the original finish is now sanded to a good surface for painting, but I'm concerned that since it's a dark brown-red it might affect the appearance of the colour coat too much. So what's the best course of action, bearing in mind that I want to make this a quick project and I'm not particularly picky about the exact colour I get as long as it's vintage-creamy?

- Sand it back to bare wood, prime it and paint it (I don't want to do this if I can avoid it)

- Shoot what I have now with a thin layer of white primer to give a better colour base, or

- Just shoot what I have now with the final colour coat.

Also, has anyone used Montana cans for a refin project, and does anyone know where I can get them online (I don't fancy dragging my arse all the way down to Surrey to find a stockist)? If so, do you know which of their range would be best for an olympic white colour?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

P.S. All this will depend on whether I can resist just going to get a can of vintage white Plasti-Kote from Wilkinson's and doing a relic job on the whole thing when it's finished.

[quote name='henry norton' post='659383' date='Nov 19 2009, 04:25 PM']Yes, prime it unless you want a patchy, uneven top coat. 2 or 3 thin coats of white primer will ensure you've got a good base for your off white. The difference is an hour or so of work and another can of paint but the results will be worth it.[/quote]

But you think it's okay to prime over the sanded existing finish? From sanding, it's really thin anyway, and it would save me a lot more sanding.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='659384' date='Nov 19 2009, 04:27 PM']But you think it's okay to prime over the sanded existing finish? From sanding, it's really thin anyway, and it would save me a lot more sanding.[/quote]

Also, should I use white or grey primer, do you think?

Yes it shouldn't be a problem spraying over the existing finish - it's better if you haven't broken through to the wood, otherwise you'll need to seal it and maybe fill it if it's rough, but as long as you've given it a good key (240 grit was always my favourite), you can go ahead and spray white primer. Grey's OK but use white if you can get it. If you're using an off white top coat you'll be able to tell easily what's been painted and what's still primer.