Why become a member? ×

1973 Selmer All-Valve Amp Head - £250

maxrossell

1973 100w valve Selmer PA 100 SV head

This is a Selmer four-channel 100w all-valve power amplifier. It is point-to-point handwired, and British-made (I believe the factory was located in Essex). According to the information I have been able to find on it, it is a 1973 model. The serial number is 80655. Each channel has 1/4" jack input and a volume, a bass and a treble control. There is also a master volume which controls overall output, and an effects loop (it is called "Echo", although it is suitable for reverb and other effects).

It has two 1/4 jack outputs for the speakers, and the Ohm selector allows you to choose between 3.75 (4), 7.5 (8) and 15 (16) Ohm speakers. There is also a 100V option. Selmer billed it as a PA system, although the circuit design is very similar to the better-known two-channel Treble n' Bass model. It would serve excellently as a vintage all-valve 100w guitar or bass amplifier (you can get some beautiful breakup if you push the channel volumes, and with three A/B pedals you could even make yourself a four-channel amp). And of course it would work equally well as a mono PA system (it will run two speakers but has no panning function). It's a genuine piece of rare and esoteric vintage gear with an amazing sound and a very cool look that will set you apart from any other musician out there.

It is in good cosmetic condition considering it is 36 years old, the metal front is slightly tarnished but mostly clean, and it is missing the steel cap on the master volume knob (although the knob is intact and works fine). There is also a crack along the edge of the Ohm selector dial at the rear of the amplifier (but this also works fine). The vinyl cover is in remarkably good condition for its age, there is only one very small tear at one of the corners, and the underside on one side is a little loose. The corner protectors are all present and original. The power cord is hard-wired into the head. The Power and Bypass switches are original and still light up during operation. The carrying handle is also intact and original.

Inside the amp there are signs of age (mainly some rust and dirt), and it is likely that whoever wins this amp will want to recondition it. The six ECC83 preamp valves (unknown brand) are still working, however one of the four EL34 power valves has blown (one of the EL34s is a tung-sol, the others are unknown brands). The amplifier powers up, all the channels work, all the dials are functional and it outputs fine, however it is noisy and feeds back a little, which I suspect is down to the blown power valve.

There are a few other minor alterations which have been made to it over the years, I believe a few of the pots and most of the 1/4" jack inputs have been replaced as well as a few of the mounting bolts, however other than that as far as I can tell it is mostly original. I have unfortunately not owned the amp long enough to be more specific, but I am reasonably confident that the transformers and circuit board are all original.

This is an extremely heavy amplifier so I would ideally prefer collection, however I am prepared to make arrangements to ship it if necessary, so please contact me for a quote. If you collect I will accept cash, however for shipping etc. I only accept paypal. Also I will not ship outside the UK. I'm based in Preston, Lancashire.

The price I have chosen I believe accurately reflects the item's current condition given its age, and its rarity and value as vintage musical equipment, allowing for the price of a full service and power section revalve. Please bear in mind that although the amp works I am selling it as not in full working order, and as such I will not accept returns, but you are welcome to fully inspect it inside and out before you buy, as I have to tried to be as honest as possible about the item's condition.

Grab yourself a piece of British music history!

£250