Why become a member? ×

wiring diagram for a jazz bass

tischbein

If the component setup (i.e. pickups and pots) are standard then might it not be better just to rewire it to "standard" spec ?

Grounding can often look different because you can connect a ground wire to any grounded metal part (e.g. a pot shell, or the metal control plate, or a shielded cavity) and it will have the same electrical effect.

Could it also be that someone has modified the wiring at some point as well ?

Had to Google that myself !

There's some information about them here

[url="http://www.offsetguitars.com/jaguar_restoration/page2.htm"]http://www.offsetguitars.com/jaguar_restoration/page2.htm[/url]

It seems they are small triangles of aluminum soldered onto the brass shielding plates and sort of "embedded" into the wood of the body cavity to keep the brass plates in place.

Does your bass have these Glazier plates ?

[quote name='tischbein' post='599505' date='Sep 15 2009, 06:55 PM']I am in dire need of a wiring diagram for my 78 Jazz Bass. It is completely different from a standard Jazz wiring, the grounding is different. Any help, please...[/quote]

imho there is only one way to wire a jazz correctly
use a pan pot
as for glazier plates...
well earth is earth no matter what the rose is called...my mia P had connections to the paint..!!!!
i would earth on the pots using daisy chain method....if not using the pan pot
connect hot from pups to pin 2 on each pot....looking from underneath and reading anti clockwise
hot to jack from pins 1 via tone pin 2 ...then to jack..all one wire with cut outs at relevant pins
all grounds to tone pot casing
pup1
vol1
pup2
vol2
bridge.........to tone pot casing

then tone pot to jack

the pan pot method avoids volume fall out... when using tone at varying volume settings for each pup
when using full volume one each pup there is a dip anyway....its common on jazz

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for all the suggestions.. techie checked it, everything is rocksolid. There is some leftover laquer of sorts on the polepieces, so I refinished them with some acylic laquer. The humming got a little quieter... it´s just part of a jazz bass, I guess. Changed the playing technique a bit and all is well. That awesome sound is all worth it. :)