Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder 1 fretless NOW SOLD

Beer of the Bass

Up for sale is my Westone Thunder 1 (passive model) de-fretted bass, from the famous Matsumoku factory. Serial begins with 2 (I've read that this means 1982, but maybe our resident Japcrap experts can confirm this). It has an ash body with maple/walnut centre, bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fingerboard and a single precision type pickup. This was built as a fretted bass but has been defretted and the slots filled with a lighter coloured wood veneer.
The bass is strung with Thomastik Jazz flatwounds and really sounds excellent - it has a really strong midrangey fretless "mwahh" tone, with p-bass chunkiness. The action at the 12th "fret" position is a little under 3mm across the board - it plays really comfortably.
The bass does show various battle scars and signs of use - there are various dings and general wear to the body, the knobs are not original and the truss rod cover is missing. A previous owner has also removed the Westone logo from the headstock (too unfashionable perhaps?), and the strap button has been moved to next to the neckplate. It hangs pretty well on a strap like this, so I've never felt inclined to shift it back to the original spot. But as a great sounding fretless, I think it's pretty much unbeatable at the price! I'm looking for £120. You can have a decent, newish gig bag with it too.
I would prefer this to be picked up from Edinburgh - that way you can check it out thoroughly and have a play. I'll look into postage if there's no local interest, but I'm a little wary as I only have a cardboard box - no hard case.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Gie'us a bump!
Would also consider trade (or p/ex for a nicer instrument) for something fretted that does the p-bass thing.

EDIT - Anyone fancy a punt if I offer postage? Say £120 posted, to clear some much needed space in my flat?

Edited by Beer of the Bass