Why become a member? ×

Aria SB303-6 (The model before the current SB404)

pantherairsoft

I have been looking at venturing into 6 strings for a while now... and considering many options.

My local shop have a rather pretty Aria SB303 6 string in which I have played today. I have done some research into this and found that Aria stopped making them around 3 years ago and there were not many 6's made. One or two independent stores in the UK seem sot have the odd 4 or 5 string going (there is a 4 on ebay at the mo) but the 6's seem to be nowhere...

This particular one is quite pretty, Ash body and a stained black ash top and matching head stock, rosewood road with rather nice inlays. ll in all it looks quite 'Luthier' (from a distance!)

It actually played quite well. and considering all other 6's I have tired... it was bloody light! A little neck dive but nothing I can't live with. It has an odd 5 position dial for the pickup select which is a bit odd, but does give a good mix of sounds. Overall it had great bottom and mid but the high end was not all that... So maybe some new electronics and strings would be a good call!

It is priced in the store at £449, which seems a tad high as from what I can tell the newer replacement to this range can be bought for less than this. The store admitted to me that it has been there for a long long time, they have no idea of Arias last RRP for the bass and are willing to shift on price... for which they will call me on monday...

Now I only got to play this through a rather poor Laney 1 x 12 amp in the shop, so I wonder does anyone out there have one/had one, can comment on sound and reliability in relation to the asking price?

Cheers

Shep

Edited by pantherairsoft