Why become a member? ×

The Licks get a taste

munkonthehill

Hola my good good people, well my band The Licks are having our first gig on saturday 18th of this month. We are playing in the argyll bar, bruce street greenock.

our first gig will be a bit special as its a charity night and all bands (7 i think) will be playing for free.

If you in the area you should pop in. I will post a few pics if there are any flattering ones hahahaha.

This is my first ever gig, the other 2 in the band have experience on the gig scene but as they havent played in a while then i think it will be a 'touching cloth' night for the power trio on stage hahaha.

peace out

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hola people,

Had our first dire gig last night, we played the darroch bar in gourock and we bombed big time.

we were booked as the band that was ment to play pulled out last minute, however this bar is mainly regulars only and by god they did not like us.

I was even taken aside by a random person to advise me on playing music (what a prick).

so we got paid and please believe me that was the only plus on the night.

anyone else had a gig that bombed???

Not bombed anywhere, but played to pub with six people and three of those came with us, luckily there was a tv on a wall opposite the stage and i watch the football most of the night. not very professional i know but it was a crap pub and we agreed we wouldn't play there again even before we went on.

• 2 weeks later...

hola there, ok folks dig this, im not sure if i should be annoyed about this or not, however i am scunnered.

About 3weeks ago i was told that my band was offered a slot at a charity doo, we would be going on first then a chap who organised the nights band would be on second. all seems well so far.

We got confirmation it was cool to use their amps and drums.

When i arrived(bass in hand) it turns out my best wee pal is the bassist in the main band, when i told him we were told we were playing he knew nothing about it!!!!!!!!!! He of course said it was cool to use his amp(I actually gave him the amp, how ironic i have to ask to use it).

we are told we can play till 9 as the main band are going on at that time. we manage about 4 songs then the singer/guitarist/w***er tells us thats time,
he then puts on an IPOD for the next 30minutes.

At the break i spoke with the other guitarist, drummer and bassist and ask if we can maybe get another shot, they all say aye no problem as they want to hear what we have to offer. The singer/guitarist/w***er says 'no mate, its our gig' awkward moment as I then called him a w***er.

So is it me thats out of order? I didnt want to go to the charity night but as i was getting to play i made an exception, the night was then filled with me shouting w***er at the guy!!!!!!!!!!! not my proudest moment, however I felt it was justified

Edited by munkonthehill

Well.....to be honest, I can only think of two reasons tahat this singer/guitarist/....er person, would pull you.....

1. he was afraid that your band would outshine his
&
2. he didn't like your music.....

seen it before many years ago at a town hall gig.....main band didn't like support.....pulled them....then tried to get each of the supoort band to pay the entrance fee to the gig.....

There were only about 5 people and a dog in the room, and I bet they tried to get the dog to pay.

Had to ask my other half what scunnered meant.....yes....she's a weegie

Terry

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an update on The licks.

ive just finished my first gig in Slanj (previously connelys) in greenock.

Gig went well and it I think the sound was pretty spot on.

Only strange thing was the when I asked what kind of time they wanted us to start, I was told to start at 10 till just back of 11.30 (greenock has a curfew at half 11 and you ant get into any pubs) then we can have a break then do our second set!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then advised them that our first set is usually 45mins then a 20min break then another 45min set.

So we compramised and we started at half 10 till half 11 had a break till 11.50 and played till half half 12.

I think they got their monies worth with about 26 getting played.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='701096' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:54 PM']Hoiw is the Ashdown head & Ampeg cab combo working out for you?[/quote]

Hey Al hope your well.

Yeah the combination of ashdown and ampeg seems to be working for me. I get the amazing clarity and presence with the 4x10cab that produces amazing top and bottom, plus the head, although seems to have basic features, allows me to sculpt in the tones required, amazingly the bright and deep buttons on the front panel allow you to change your tone in seconds, its a great head with an amazing sound, my only problem is im running 575watts at 4 ohmes into a 400watt at 4 ohmes cab. lets just say i will have to be careful haha

• 2 weeks later...

Ah its that time again where I tell everyone that we are playing a gig, now as ive only had 2 (i think) replies on this thread then im sure its a wasted venture but here we go.

Hey all, playing Dakota 23rd, should be awesome with us adding in sweet emotion, sex on fire, maggie may, you really got me now and superstition into the mix.

Well hope to see you all there

Steven

(god I sound so redundant)

ah, the gig went awesome last night.

We were ment to be playing new songs maggie may, sex on fire, superstition and you really got me. however due to ,dare I say heated rehearsals we changed the new songs to , heard it through the grapevine, superstition, really got me now and hush.

only with 2 days to get the new ones was a pain but all came together very nicely.

we got booked up quite quickly and are playing 3rd april in the same plae,,,dakaota greenock.

looks like this pub is the only place that actually like us hahaha

• 5 months later...

Hola all,

just a wee check,,,,,my band are having a gig a month sometimes 1 every 2 months. is there any promoters, bands who need more bands on their bill or pub owners that want a wicked rock/blues band to star in their venue.....

Please PM me with any offers/advise.

Cheers
Steven