Why become a member? ×

New isolator cable from Diago (like virtual battery)

1976fenderhead

Just thought I'd give a heads-up about this new [url="http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,66/category_id,3/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,206/"]cable[/url] from Diago I've recently noticed on their website.

I asked if it does the same as the GigRig Virtual Battery and that was confirmed to me. Might be worth it to some people as it is a little cheaper (add postage) and takes less space (I'm a bit divided though and think I'd still prefer the Virtual Battery as it looks sturdier so probably worth the extra £££).

Be aware though, it will look nothing like that image. But if it works as well as the 18v adaptor I have, that shouldn't matter.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='524063' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:44 PM']Just thought I'd give a heads-up about this new [url="http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,66/category_id,3/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,206/"]cable[/url] from Diago I've recently noticed on their website.

I asked if it does the same as the GigRig Virtual Battery and that was confirmed to me. Might be worth it to some people as it is a little cheaper (add postage) and takes less space (I'm a bit divided though and think I'd still prefer the Virtual Battery as it looks sturdier so probably worth the extra £££).

Be aware though, it will look nothing like that image. But if it works as well as the 18v adaptor I have, that shouldn't matter.[/quote]

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago, together with a modified Gig Rig Virtual Battery (modified to an isolated 18V source). Both can be used to power the Mutron III reissue on my current board.

Interestingly, when using the GigRig VB the Mutron's power light remains lit indicating insufficient power, and the sound of the Mutron is kind of thin.

This doesn't happen with the Diago - full clean power to the Mutron and a nice big, fat sound!!

So, the GigRig VB remains a backup to the Diago.....also, the Diago is quite a sturdy unit so doesn't look like it will present any problems.

[quote name='megazap63' post='524553' date='Jun 26 2009, 08:34 AM']I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago, together with a modified Gig Rig Virtual Battery (modified to an isolated 18V source). Both can be used to power the Mutron III reissue on my current board.

Interestingly, when using the GigRig VB the Mutron's power light remains lit indicating insufficient power, and the sound of the Mutron is kind of thin.

This doesn't happen with the Diago - full clean power to the Mutron and a nice big, fat sound!!

So, the GigRig VB remains a backup to the Diago.....also, the Diago is quite a sturdy unit so doesn't look like it will present any problems.[/quote]

Thanks for the info! You may have just swayed me to the Diago :-)

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='524815' date='Jun 26 2009, 01:19 PM']Thanks for the info! You may have just swayed me to the Diago :-)[/quote]

Hey FH,

A couple of quick clarifiers to help you make your decision:

Before trying out either the Diago adaptor or GigRig VB, I was powering up the Mutron pedal with an 18V Jim Dunlop pedal rated at
150 mA output. This did a great job. After discussion with the people at GigRig, I ordered a modified VB (modded to 18V isolated) on the understanding that it was supposed to provide up to 150 mA of power. However, the VB has shown that it doesn't provide sufficient power to the Mutron, resulting in a poor signal, thin tone etc.

I also ordered an 18V adaptor from Diago from their online store, similar to the one you've mentioned. This does an excellent job in providing power to the Mutron, letting it pump out the fat, greasy sound its supposed to. Also, at the time I bought it, I was advised by James at Diago (a friendly and helpful guy) that while the adaptor would provide up to 30 mA of power, this should be enough to power up the pedal. I guess he was right, which also makes me believe the VB could be seriously underpowered for its rating.

Hope this helps.

Cheers