Why become a member? ×

plugins on PC and Mac

wibble

Sorry - this was supposed to be a reply to a post about recording on a computer - stupidly I created a new post - sorry, and I don't know how to delete it :blush:

I think that there are a lot more plugins available for PC than for Mac, including free ones, so that's something to think about as well. It's worth remembering that an audio interface will work on practically any computer. Even Pro Tools, notorious for being picky about hardware compatibility, will probably work on any bog standard computer (i.e. cheap, Pentium 4 and above). However, you would be limited to recording on very few tracks but one way for you to dip your toes into the water might be to get an M Box (version 1) off eBay, and learn about hard disk recording. Also, if you get any piece of Digidesign hardware, you get Pro Tools software with it. I'm using a Pentium D with 4 meg ram, hardly cutting edge, and I can record big sessions - 40 tracks, plugins like BFD 2, Omnisphere, etc, and FX and EQ and it works (and crashes and stalls now and then) but having finite resources makes you make decisions, and that has to be better than constantly being unable to commit to anything!

I bought a dedicated music PC from Red Submarine - it's been great, and a lot cheaper than a Mac - the main thing is that the PC/Mac is a tool to creativity - don't get bogged down in a quest to have a bigger, faster one, etc, etc.

Another tip is to browse user forums - Digidesign User Conference is a good one - look and see what PC and Mac Pro Tool users moan about. Also, search out Mac user forums - suss out what their gripes are.

just my 2 cents :)

Edited by wibble

I am not only a bass player but producer/writer/programmer and I have only recently got back into bass properly after many years, but with a vengeance as I now have 4 basses to my original one! I use Logic Pro on a Mac, but collaborate with people using Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cubase, Samplitude or Sonar on PC and Digital Performer on Mac. I teach Music Tech and I have taught Cubase in the past. The whole platform wars thing in this area gets VERY dull - it's much more a case of get to know the program and use it creatively. You can certainly make great music on any system if you follow your creativity. I started with C-Lab (later Emagic) Creator on an Atari ST in 1988 and got Logic as much because it would load all my old songs as for any other reason. Having said that, it is at its current price setting fantastic value, with the top quality built-in instruments and effects and I have zero interest in getting anything different.

I have considered in the past setting up a parallel system on the Pentium M Vaio laptop I use for everyday stuff and I do have Reaper on it, as I can use my Focusrite Saffire interface with it and have recorded a friend's band in a theatre to it. There are some remarkable plugins going for free out there - it would be possible to make superb complete tracks with, say, Reaper, the Computer Music Magazine cover disk plugins and a selection of freebies downloaded from the internet, both instruments and effects. The place to look is [url="http://www.kvraudio.com"]KVR Audio[/url] using their search engine. The big problem for anyone searching for free Windows plugins is the sheer amount of choice and if you don't exercise self-discipline your system could get very bloated.