Why become a member? ×

John 5 Tele weirdness

Kongo

Ok my friend has a John 5 telecaster, the older MIM HS config with the 12 string shape headstock.
Ever since he's had it it's hummed like mad in certain situations...which first made me beleive it's a grounding issue...but as far as I can see the grounding is fine!
But now we delve deeper and thus, the problems must lie here somewhere:

If you turn the volume off and play, a little signal still gets through resulting in a weak, but audible sound.
If you shake it or jump up and down with it it makes a "banging" sound, like a basketball hitting the deck.
My Ibanez BTB did this once and I sorted it by putting tape round a naked wire (it's all I could see wrong)...His has NO naked wires.

He bought it off some guy in America...Now all I can think of is it may have had another pickup installed and when the guy sold it he put the old one back in and screwed it up.
The wiring is wrong somewhere but I don't know what I'm looking at.

We took it to a local guitar tech at Sheehans in Leicester (highly reguarded)...The guitar called his bluff and refused to buzz...of course, this was before we noticed it bangs when shook.
So they found nothing wrong with it.

What the hell is going on? It's doing my head in as much as his.
Even an idea of what could be wrong would be appreciated.
I doubt Fender would have shipped this with this fault...it's gotta be a mishap somewhere.

Edited by Kongo

First question to ask... does it hum or buzz when the Humbucking bridge pickup only is selected ? If there is no hum when the bridge pickup only is selected, then there is problem no fault here. The single coil neck pickup will hum if there is electrical interference close by, but not the humbucking bridge pickup.

Next question ... you say it bangs when you shake it about. Does it matter which pickup is selected ? Try each pickup selection and shake it to see if there is any noise - that should let you work out if the problem lies with a particular pickup or with the wiring that comes after the pickups.

[quote name='BOD2' post='518851' date='Jun 19 2009, 09:10 PM']First question to ask... does it hum or buzz when the Humbucking bridge pickup only is selected ? If there is no hum when the bridge pickup only is selected, then there is problem no fault here. The single coil neck pickup will hum if there is electrical interference close by, but not the humbucking bridge pickup.

Next question ... you say it bangs when you shake it about. Does it matter which pickup is selected ? Try each pickup selection and shake it to see if there is any noise - that should let you work out if the problem lies with a particular pickup or with the wiring that comes after the pickups.[/quote]

It buzzez everywhere, humbucker, single coil or split between the two.
I will check the banging though...

[quote name='BOD2' post='519348' date='Jun 20 2009, 02:54 PM']Have a look at the jack socket and make sure nothing has come adrift there.[/quote]

Ok.
I really wanna take it home and have a proper look as he's...squeemish about guitar innards! :)

Ok, results in...

It bangs on any pickup selected and even bangs when everything is turned down...remember, even mute it still sounds faintly and get this: Hum feedback!?
Yes that's right...by touching any metal part this guitar rings some NASTY feedback and the notes actually change depending on where you touch it!
It was funny for a while like but...what in the HELL is up with this guitar?

Any idea now?
I might strap it up and ask my mate to record it tonight at practise so you can see for yourself...it's crazy!

I wonder if there's a problem with the bridge earthing ?

A Tele has that metal plate around the bridge pickup. The metal plate should be grounded, and that then grounds the strings. The John 5 Tele is different in that it has a humbucker at the bridge. I don't know if that guitar should have a separate ground wire that is routed through the body and comes up under the bridge plate to be sandwiched between body and bridge plate, or if there's a different ground connection.

The wiring diagram is here

[url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/telecaster/0139000_306A/SD0139000_306APg2.pdf"]http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf...000_306APg2.pdf[/url]

but it doesn't show the grounding method clearly.

Beyond that I would suggest you join this forum and post a question there.

[url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/index.php"]http://www.tdpri.com/forum/index.php[/url]

They're Telecaster experts over there and have a wealth of knowledge.