Why become a member? ×

EB-O Squire 5

phil_the_bassist

Right, so here goes!

I'm looking to cobble together a pimped 5string beastie with an EB-0-esque body as the main bit, and everything else put in as and how i see fit (so, probably some ashtrays, chrome, heavy-duty bridge, etc etc etc) but I've got a few tech concerns.

How do I find the 'sweet spots' for the p'ups? I'm looking for a jazz pup (or similar) to be placed to get the great honky cut-thru-the-mix tones, and probably a big 'bucker for some big deep low-end, but as I've got a single pup musicman I don't know how to go about working out which pup i need, or where it needs to go!

Also, whats the easiest way to fill in the old routings so i can re-cut for the new pups?

cheers m'dears!

Phil

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='512294' date='Jun 12 2009, 05:02 PM']How do I find the 'sweet spots' for the p'ups? I'm looking for a jazz pup (or similar) to be placed to get the great honky cut-thru-the-mix tones, and probably a big 'bucker for some big deep low-end, but as I've got a single pup musicman I don't know how to go about working out which pup i need, or where it needs to go![/quote]

I just get pictures of basses I like the look and sound of, then measure the plecement of the pickups and scale up based on the scale lenght. I think the whole sweet spot thing is a bit of a myth, its really more to do with their placement relative to each other that causes phase cancellations. A Jazz sounds scooped because the pickups are quite far apart, put them closer together and you'll start to get more mids and less highs, more like a Ray.

I think - you might want to get someone else to check that.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='512294' date='Jun 12 2009, 05:02 PM']Also, whats the easiest way to fill in the old routings so i can re-cut for the new pups?[/quote]

I would guess, just plug them with wood :) Maybe a strategically placed scratch / control plate or pickup surrounds will hide most of the damage.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Mikey R' post='512818' date='Jun 13 2009, 03:10 PM']I just get pictures of basses I like the look and sound of, then measure the plecement of the pickups and scale up based on the scale lenght. I think the whole sweet spot thing is a bit of a myth, its really more to do with their placement relative to each other that causes phase cancellations. A Jazz sounds scooped because the pickups are quite far apart, put them closer together and you'll start to get more mids and less highs, more like a Ray.

I think - you might want to get someone else to check that.

I would guess, just plug them with wood :) Maybe a strategically placed scratch / control plate or pickup surrounds will hide most of the damage.[/quote]

Cheers Mikey!

I've been having a look thru, and I'm guessing that as long as I've got two pups that are spaced far enough apart to get different proportions of fundamentals and harmonics (aka one at Jazz position + one at Ray position = too close) and have a blend knob, I'll be able to dial in some nice combinations of tone...but hell, a first attempt is meant to have a few £uck ups!

I was having a look at some of the wood filler I've got...I'm thinking about building an appropriate sized frame to screw the pup to, secure the frame in the routing using wood epoxy, and fill the rest. It'll do for this prototype as it's only a plywood body :rolleyes: I'm classy, me!

Thanks for the tips, now to start the Build Thread in ernest!

[center]THE OFFICIAL PLANS![/center]

OK, here goes!

After selling all my projects, I've finally decided to plan AHEAD of purchasing parts, exactly what I'm going to do with them...thus making sure I complete at least ONE project bass in my lifetime!

I've got an EB-O replica body hopefully arriving from Ebay (please, don't anybody outbid me!) and I'll be adding the following
[list=1]
[*]Squire P-bass neck (maple/rosewood) converted 4-5 using a blank nut, cut myself.
[*]2x Kent Armstrong 5 string soapbars with passive circuitry and some switching that I had in my first custom built bass (altho I love the bass, but it was very poorly finished by the 'luthier' and has never been played in anger)
[*]5x slimline gotoh tuners
[*]substantial Fender replica 5string bridge from aforementioned custom bass, set further back to give it a better scale length (will give measurements and details when I've got the tape measure out)
[*]Hopefully Chrome ashtrays (if they'll fit) on bridge, and possibly on both pups
[*]possibly a ramp
[/list]

I'll spray it all matte black, with some simple pinstripe pattern (will give details as and when!)

so, as they say, let the games begin!

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='513274' date='Jun 14 2009, 01:09 PM'](aka one at Jazz position + one at Ray position = too close)[/quote]

Not necessarily - but its all what you want. If you want a scooped sound then I would experiment with putting the neck pickup as far forward as you can.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='513281' date='Jun 14 2009, 01:21 PM'][*]substantial Fender replica 5string bridge from aforementioned custom bass, set further back to give it a better scale length[/quote]

Is it a fretless? If its fretted, then you cant just move the bridge - if you do you wont be able to intonate it properly.

Sounds like you'll have fun with this one! I love project basses! :)

[quote name='Mikey R' post='513288' date='Jun 14 2009, 01:29 PM']Not necessarily - but its all what you want. If you want a scooped sound then I would experiment with putting the neck pickup as far forward as you can.

Is it a fretless? If its fretted, then you cant just move the bridge - if you do you wont be able to intonate it properly.

Sounds like you'll have fun with this one! I love project basses! :)[/quote]

Not a fretless, completely hadn't considered that'un! I've managed to move the bridge of my g/f's bass that I cobbled together back about 1/2" and it still intonates well (and personally, i think it plays nicer now too!) but i guess that was such a small transition that it didn't matter...hmmm :rolleyes:

As I won't be playing anywhere near the 12th, i'll extend it as much as i can get away with! I guess the joy of ply is that I can re-drill and re-fill many times to get it Just Right without worrying too much :D

...and yes, I'll funking LOVE doing this, especially if it turns out to be a Tasty Beast! (don't expect a Rickenbaker level of finish to this'un tho! It's gonna be a sketchy little punk bitch that I'll love and cherish till the neck snaps! :lol:)