Why become a member? ×

Boss Micro BR question

bythesea

My wife has just taken up the bass and she is starting to develop GAS already :)

I was thinking of getting her a Tascam MP-BT1 so she could sit and play along to slowed down tracks etc. After reading some of the threads on here I am now considering the Boss Micro BR instead as it has some extra useful features (not that I would make use of it of course...).

The one thing I am not sure about is whether you can store MP3s on the Boss directly or whether you plug an MP3 player into it. If it does then I think it is no contest.

[quote name='nig' post='492777' date='May 19 2009, 10:28 PM']It has an mp3 mode, you can convert multitrack recordings in it to mp3, put mp3's on it and record directly or via mic in mp3 mode, its a good little tool, lots of drums too.[/quote]

not many bass friendly effects patches though...

there's a limit on how many MP3s you can put on it and the track display only displays the first five characters of a filename with the next three being numbers if the filenames are the same over the first eight characters (remember old DOS filenames in Win95) so you find yourself having to rename them to make them easier to find. It doesn't play subdirectories so it's difficult to arrange things to find them easily, you have to scroll through the entire contents of the MP3 directory to find the one you want.

Playback... annoying lack of a repeat button, to repeat an MP3, you have to use the A & B buttons while the track is playing to set the start and end point of what you want to repeat, OK if you want to repeat a phrase, but not if you just want the whole track on auto repeat.

SD cards, yeah, it uses them... and doesn't have internal RAM for storage. It can only use sizes up to 2G and these will only get harder to find!!!

PS. I'm not sure if the new ones have had their firmware upgraded to handle larger SD cards or extra MP3 playback functionality.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='492948' date='May 20 2009, 08:34 AM']not many bass friendly effects patches though...[/quote]
Theres amp modelling, chorus, delay, compressor etc, thats been plenty for me, just as a point on the sd memory cards I put a 1 gig in, that has been plenty enough for me to be bored shitless with my own playing. :)