Why become a member? ×

Replacement preamp not working in active mode

Posted (edited)

Today a friend and I have had an attempt to replace the broken preamp in my Sire V7 with a Sadowsky drop-in replacement. All of the soldering seems to have gone OK, including the trickier than expected task of attaching the pickup ground wires to the back of the blend pot (not as easy as various videos would have you believe!).

Before finishing everything we decided it would be prudent to test everything. So we booked up my little Vox headphone amp and plugged it in. In passive mode it works fine, and the volume and pickup blends knobs all work, which is a relief given how long we had to leave the soldering iron on the pot to get it hot enough for the solder to stick.

But when we engage the preamp, nothing, not a dicky bird. We've checked the soldered connections on the spliced battery harness which all appear to be fine, and used a fresh battery, but still nothing.

I've messaged a local tech to get their advice and maybe book it in, but other than the connections on the battery harness not being as sound as we think they are, or possibly the preamp module being borked, does anyone have any possible suggestions for what night be the issue?

Edited by asingardenof
typo