Why become a member? ×

Used older Ibanez vs new models

Hawk45

Hi all,

Guitarist looking to pickup my first bass. Have it narrow to Ibanez as I have several of their guitars and have always enjoyed Ibanez’s budget/mid-level offerings. I plan to go with a 5 string active HH model. The obvious choice for my home only playing is the SR305e. But I normally buy used as I don’t mind some wear, fixing small issues or doing setups. 
I noticed that all the SR models have been out for quite a few years with different versions/options over time. With that in mind, is it worth it to go with the newer models with the new bells and whistles, or are the older versions just as versatile and useable?

If so, I have the option to go cheaper on the 305 series used, or would you suggest stepping up to a better model for the same money. I know ans model numbers go up doesn’t necessarily mean better in practicality.
Appreciate your input and time. 
Hawk

I don't think there has ever been a 'bad' SR. I've played various models over the years but owned a an SR605, an SRX705 and an SR1200e. They're all quite different but have sounded great, been super versatile and played incredibly well. 

I wouldn't worry too much about age but you'll definitely get more for your money second hand. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1